Topics

Adding S-Meter/Output Power on LCD Display? #vfo

Steve Carey

I'm building a couple of Top Band (1.8-2.0MHz) Transceivers using the VFO/SigGen module in each. Stuck for front panel space for an analogue S-Meter/TX Power output, would it be possible to use the second row on the LCD Display as a Bargraph? I guess some major additions/changes to the firmware . . . . beyond my capabilities! LOL. Can anyone help?

Steve/G4MJW

jjpurdum

If you Goolge "Arduino S meter" or "Arduino VU meter", you'll get a number of hits that you can investigate. The simplest are S meters that run off the audio, which are really not S meters, but rather VU meters and usually reflect the volume of the signal. A real S meter ties into the IF chain and would require a little more work. As to the programming, since you're smart enough to get your license, you're more than smart enough to program such a project.

Jack, W8TEE

On Saturday, October 13, 2018, 10:50:24 AM EDT, stevecarey1948@... <stevecarey1948@...> wrote:

I'm building a couple of Top Band (1.8-2.0MHz) Transceivers using the VFO/SigGen module in each. Stuck for front panel space for an analogue S-Meter/TX Power output, would it be possible to use the second row on the LCD Display as a Bargraph? I guess some major additions/changes to the firmware . . . . beyond my capabilities! LOL. Can anyone help?

Steve/G4MJW

I don't think the source code is available.
--
> I finally got it all together...now I can't remember where I put it<

Wes

AE6ZM

Sierra Vista, AZ

KEN G4APB

Hi Steve.
I have a U3S receiver with polyphase board and use a simple design external battery powered S meter/AGC that runs off the audio by fitting the unused I/Q 600 ohm transformer and paralelling the SSB af output and fitting a extra socket on the U3S. This provides a fixed level audio to the S meter circuit. It works quite well and compresses at FSD.

I also would like to see a bargraph on the U3S display with an analogue control input(s) for both S meter and RF power/SWR display. Hans has managed a small one on the QCX. I guess a big problem is updating a varying level almost in real time while so much else is going on in the rig, Something to be added for consideration later maybe?

73 Ken G4APB

Steve Carey

Hi Both . . . and thanks for the info.

The RX board has an AGC output and I previously used another of these receivers with a 20uA S-Meter. Via a small capacitor and a diode or two, I cane sniff some volts from the transmitter output stage. SO what I think I'll do is have a row of 3mm LED's in the small gap above the LCD Display driven by an LM3914 LED Bargraph Driver chip. I really don't have front panel space for a real meter but a string of LED's is doable. The front panel is only 140mm X 70mm! Mock-up:
http://www.g4mjw.com/images/Natterbox-Mock-up-G4MJW.jpg

Steve

Chris Wood

You could put a row of LEDs along the front edge of the lid?

Chris G4CWS

Steve Carey

I thought abt that Chris but I'd have a load of trailing wires or yet anouth multi-way connector! LOL. I think theay'll fit nicely ablve the LCD Display and the pronted graphics. I'll mock it up on a bit of PCB Board the same size as the front panel.

Thanks for yr suggestion Chris.

Steve - G4MJW