Topics

QCX enclosure GPS connector #case #antenna #gps

Kadicha

What sort of GPS connector fits in the cutout in the QCX enclosure. I'm sure it was designed for some specific type that is readily available.
Dermy
VK1FDHA

Ron Carr

Google 9 pin D-SUB or DB-9 connectors.

Jim Cervantes

Just this morning I ordered a DB-9 cable very inexpensively on Amazon.  My plan is to cut off the connector on the end that will be soldered directly to the GPS board. The other end will plug into the DB-9 port on the enclosure.  This way you don't have to by a connector, a cable, and potentially a separate shell, and it's very cheap.

Jim KC1KDG

Kadicha

I looked at DB-9 connectors but they are far too big to fit; the mounting holes in the case are 18mm apart and a DB-9 plug is about 19mm wide with the mounting screws about 25mm apart.  I'm guessing that it it some sort of 4 pin socket; maybe USB or some sort of audio/tv socket.

n0mpm

I ended up using a USB-A connector cable with the following chassis connector from Digi-Key....

PART: A111306CT-ND DESC: CONN RCPT USB TYPE A SMT R/A MFG : TE Connectivity AMP Connectors (VA) / 5353928-2

I had to nibble out about 1/16” extra width to the cutout on the QCX enclosure and drill 1 new mounting hole for the screw.  The downside is I had to remove the onboard CW key to make room for the USB jack....works great and looks OK....Mike/N0MPM

Pat Cahill

I ended up using an Arduino Stackable Shield Header(https://smile.amazon.com/Hilitchi-110pcs-Arduino-Stackable-Assortment/dp/B01IP60YQA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1539468435&sr=8-9&keywords=arduino+header)  that I reduced to 4 pins.  I then bent the 4 pins to 90 degrees, trimmed the leads stay inside the box.  I can now use a standard 4 pin header cable from the GPS, just being careful I have it going on the correct direction.  Not as nice as a chassis mounted connector, but effective, and did not require the case to be modified.  Pictures on request.

Pat

W0BM

From: QRPLabs@groups.io <QRPLabs@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kadicha
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 3:14 PM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: [QRPLabs] QCX enclosure GPS connector #case #gps #antenna

What sort of GPS connector fits in the cutout in the QCX enclosure. I'm sure it was designed for some specific type that is readily available.
Dermy
VK1FDHA

Manfred Binder

Hallo,

I milled a slot for a standard 2,54mm  Header in my Case.  But I used 5 Pins to lost not the direction.

Manfred DL5OAS

Am 14.10.2018 um 00:10 schrieb Pat Cahill:

I ended up using an Arduino Stackable Shield Header(https://smile.amazon.com/Hilitchi-110pcs-Arduino-Stackable-Assortment/dp/B01IP60YQA/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1539468435&sr=8-9&keywords=arduino+header)  that I reduced to 4 pins.  I then bent the 4 pins to 90 degrees, trimmed the leads stay inside the box.  I can now use a standard 4 pin header cable from the GPS, just being careful I have it going on the correct direction.  Not as nice as a chassis mounted connector, but effective, and did not require the case to be modified.  Pictures on request.

Pat

W0BM

From: QRPLabs@groups.io <QRPLabs@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kadicha
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2018 3:14 PM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: [QRPLabs] QCX enclosure GPS connector #case #gps #antenna

Dermy
VK1FDHA

Ron Carr

Sorry,  I read the question as the connector for the U3S case.

HB9DEF Robin

Hi Jim,

Alignment with GPS: I cannot find any information about the intended (or not) type of socket, which would fit in the 8 x 12mm hole on the side of the DL6YYM Enclosure. I note that in online catalogues (Mouser, Reichelt) USB sockets (Type A and B) are usually PCB mounted. The distance between the inside wall of my enclosure and the microswitch side is only 12 mm so it is difficult to use other socket types (e.g., DIN) without removing the switch. A build-in Mini-DIN jack, 4-pin (Reichelt, BKL 0204025) would probably fit by cutting a 12 mm round hole from the 12 x 8 mm hole.

However, a 9 pin Sub D socket will fit after cutting and filing. But the space is cramped (see photo).

73, Robin, HB9DEF

ralf.rosche@...

Hi,
i am using so called CCTV jacks with 6 pins, they fit exact in the cutting of the Bama case. The jack is a clip on type, the screws are not needed. I mouned them only to cover the holes. 
Ralf