Hello Allison and Hans

Many thanks for the detailed reply, I will take on board both yours
and Hans' advice, much appreciated!

Friday, August 24, 2018

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 02:54 AM, Chris Wilson wrote:
I would value Allison's opinion on how important FET lead lengths and
trace routing and widths, and those of FET driver IC's remain at LF
and MF as I am fond of experimenting "down there", particularly with
Class D amps. I suspect it is still important as gate and drain
traces seem to respond to careful minimisation of lead lengths and
usage of wide traces.
Its very simple, IF you want long leads stay near DC. Look leads for high current
fast rise time pulses are essentially no different hat upper HF to VHF CW signals.
Think of this way would you intentionally put a choke in series with the three legs?
Of course not but yet many don't consider a 40nh lead as important.
I've used those driver ICs to 13.56mhz.
More of same for wide traces and ground planes.
Or from a different view point Hans did it right and it works to VHF.
Allison _._,_._,_

--

2E0ILY
Best regards,

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Ken G4apb,

The assumption is the box and board are the same.  Its all speculative
based on the monoband 40M radio.  A bigger box kit?  Unknown.

The power amp has power to 70mhz, gain is down to about 22db and
the output transformer may not be optimum up there.  I ran the source
up to see if it quit higher up.  Its optimum to 30mhz.  That it works higher
is a plus.

What I can't speak to is the QSD detector for the IQ good at 6 and 4.
I see no one in the VHF world using them and I tried them and
rejected it.  They were much too noisy for 6M weak signal work
even with 20db of very quiet E-Phemt gain (minicircuits PHA5351+).

OPINION: I'd not suggest it for manufacture as really how many are
6 and 4 m users?   Its partly why we see so few kits for VHF and up
other than transverters.  They are tougher to build and specs are
generally tighter (least USA and ITU countries).    A transverter can
be built for higher performance and likely more power.

First we walk, running comes with practice.

Allison

KEN G4APB

Hi Greg,
Hans has said this QSX could become a 10 band radio as a later option. I did wonder how this would be achieved as looking at the photos it does seem that a single band Rx BPF is implemented on the main board. I think the same for the Tx LPF, I am not sure if this radio uses the tuned T1 approach? So I assume that an 'add on' board similar to the LPF 'switched relay board' used in the U3S would be used. Interesting problem now is for each band it would need both an LPF AND a BPF. I guess with an add-on board but twice the size, the original plug-in U3S LPF/BPF boards maybe could be used.
I may be wrong, but it would make setting BPFs and LPF on frequency much easier if they could be removed and tested stand-alone.

I also saw another report saying the PA may be good up to 4m, so this raises some interesting possibilites too.

73 Ken G4APB

Alan de G1FXB

Re: Multiband QCX

Find the work of  Andreas DM5MU using plug in LPF & T1 assemblies in his 6-band QCX
at the bottom of the QCX Gallery page

Alan

On 28/08/2018 16:49, Greg Wasik wrote:
Yes I agree with all of the comments about not asking for features that should come later... However, I do have one that I think might be reasonable

Would it be possible to have the LPF filters on a plug in boards - kind of the same approach as used with the Ultimate 3?  -  I was thinking about how much easier it would be to have that same approach on the QCX as well. One could then fully test and mod the LPF as needed externally from the transceiver main board.. Perhaps even the  T1 or equivalent and other band specific parts could be mounted on plug in boards, therefore maybe it would be possible to have a multiband rig just by swapping RF and LPF boards?

Greg Wasik

Yes I agree with all of the comments about not asking for features that should come later... However, I do have one that I think might be reasonable

Would it be possible to have the LPF filters on a plug in boards - kind of the same approach as used with the Ultimate 3?  -  I was thinking about how much easier it would be to have that same approach on the QCX as well. One could then fully test and mod the LPF as needed externally from the transceiver main board.. Perhaps even the  T1 or equivalent and other band specific parts could be mounted on plug in boards, therefore maybe it would be possible to have a multiband rig just by swapping RF and LPF boards?

ajparent1/KB1GMX

What you missed is the conversation is already spread across the two sites.
Its hard to have community when its hard to figure out who is replying to whom
and where.

Other than its was a suggestion.  That what might, rather shall or should means.

Allison

John VA7JBE

Hi John,

That's hurtful, non-constructive, and negatively impacts our sense of community.

Other John

jmh6@...

Hi All,

"It might be more 'appropriate' there."

Pretty sad commentary if you were to ask me....

Then again you didn't ask. Or did you?

John

On Sun, 26 Aug 2018, ajparent1/KB1GMX wrote:

I'm going to take a liberty to sane something....
There is the group Antennas (groups.io) where some of this coversation has
migrated to.
It might be more appropriate there.
Allison

ajparent1/KB1GMX

I'm going to take a liberty to sane something....

There is the group Antennas (groups.io) where some of this coversation has migrated to.
It might be more appropriate there.

Allison

John VA7JBE

There was an autotuner project by Martin AE7EU published last year as part of a power amplifier that might be adapted to the QSX.  The details are here: http://ae7eu.com/index.php/quickie-50-amplifier/

Steve Black

I am still interested too. Steve kb1chu

On 8/24/2018 10:51 PM, J68HZ wrote:

Hardware is done and…and  I must say it works extremely well.  One of the best projects I’ve ever designed.  I’m Just waiting/ helping Jack with his JackAl project so that I can coerce him into helping me with the coding for this project.  As designed, it can work as an integrated-to-a-radio 100W tuner, or just stand-alone.  Speaks several languages to do that.  What I particularly like about it is that is tunes in less than a second worst case (even with my kludgy excuse for code).  Stay tuned.  It’s still on target for $35 or less.  Probably will be selling kits at Dayton next year.

I can’t post on the uBITx group any more so I guess you’ll hear it here first!

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...

On 2018-08-24 10:34, Alan de G1FXB via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Hans,

All non-binding and waving a white flag...  :-)

Perhaps as a fork off the how big case question.

The idea of a full featured radio for trails is a big plus,

however DSP horsepower my consume more than just CPU cycles.

Have you indicative figures so far for current drawn RX and for example 1w, 5w,10w on any band of your choice?

Alan

On 24/08/2018 09:12, Hans Summers wrote:

Yes! The suggestions are all very useful! A couple of the requests were a bit far out. But many were new ideas, and very much appreciated. I'm sure that many will make their way into the design, either in the beginning or later, given some time.

73 Hans G0UPL

Braden Glett

I use the tiny and inexpensive automatic antenna tuner from elecraft with my QCX. Works great!

Hans Summers

Chris

Another way to look at it: even if you may argue that the LF does not care so much about a little longer wires, you are usually dealing with MOSFET devices like the IRF510 which have plenty of gain even up into the VHF region. Layout problems could create HF or VHF instabilities even in an LF amplifier.

As for sockets for chips, many are SMD that are pre-soldered by the factory. Two which are through-hole are the 8-pin dual op-amp used for microphone amps, and the 2W stereo audio output amplifier IC. I suppose you could socket them. One could argue that the heat dissipation capability of the output amp IC might be a little compromized by a socket.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018, 15:04 ajparent1/KB1GMX <kb1gmx@...> wrote:
[...]

Roger Hill

Jeez, now you're talking!

As it happens, I'm about to retire in a couple of weeks. Was planning to talk about IBM machines with 4K of real iron core memory, 8 inch floppies, hard-sectored 5-inch floppies, removable disk packs, and the 'power loss' emergency head retract mechanisms, 7-hole fan fold paper tape etc. And the time I assembled a Data General Nova..after two days of putting stuff in racks and cabling it, opened the last box (a big one) and it had a piece of paper in saying - do this first!

Remember 'bus and tag' cables to printers and the like - must have been almost 100 wires in those.

Cheers
Roger

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2018-08-24 11:58, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
So for example, (showing my age), a DB 25 male
Roger,
Better a 36 pin Centronics with quick-release spring clips:-)
73 alan G4ZFQ

Alan G4ZFQ

So for example, (showing my age), a DB 25 male
Roger,

Better a 36 pin Centronics with quick-release spring clips:-)

73 alan G4ZFQ

Chris Wilson

Hello QRPLabbers,

Friday, August 24, 2018

I read a lot of posts where whoopsies in the builds occur and people
struggle to remove IC's for replacement, does the design lend itself
to have all or most IC's socketed for easy replacement or for those
times when removal may aid circuit testing?

I would value Allison's opinion on how important FET lead lengths and
trace routing and widths, and those of FET driver IC's remain at LF
and MF as I am fond of experimenting "down there", particularly with
Class D amps. I suspect it is still important as gate and drain
traces seem to respond to careful minimisation of lead lengths and
usage of wide traces.

Good luck, an amazing project, even for ones as talented as Hans and
Allison!

--

2E0ILY
Best regards,

On 2018-08-24 10:34, Alan de G1FXB via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Hans,

[...]

Hi Ken

Yes! The suggestions are all very useful! A couple of the requests were a bit far out. But many were new ideas, and very much appreciated. I'm sure that many will make their way into the design, either in the beginning or later, given some time.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Aug 24, 2018 09:39, "KEN G4APB via Groups.Io" <lfoofui.nbz42=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:
All excited future kit builders,
hey, when did we ever get to put our dreams and desires for a rig into the early days of design  with any of the 'bigger' manufacturers where we were listened to and got to discuss with similar minded persons?? This is a unique time for us all.

Hans knows what is easy and what is not to implement. Some good ideas have been aired that he may not have thought of. Doesn't even need to do marketing research!  I am sure this new rig will be another best seller, Love the idea it can come with a case too.

73 Ken G4APB

KEN G4APB

All excited future kit builders,
hey, when did we ever get to put our dreams and desires for a rig into the early days of design  with any of the 'bigger' manufacturers where we were listened to and got to discuss with similar minded persons?? This is a unique time for us all.

Hans knows what is easy and what is not to implement. Some good ideas have been aired that he may not have thought of. Doesn't even need to do marketing research!  I am sure this new rig will be another best seller, Love the idea it can come with a case too.

73 Ken G4APB

Braden Glett

I'd like it to be able to operate my toaster too, if possible.

Fred Piering

from 50 years as an electrical engineer:
The latest "improvement" is always the source of the newest problem.
If you want an all band, all mode, transceiver with internal ATU and Battery, Elecraft will be more than happy to take your loose $1,500.00
72
Fred
WD9HNU

From: Rick Barnich
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 09:53:21 PDT

The problems and delays were always caused by changes and new features.

I would 2nd that: feature churn has delayed and killed more than one, otherwise good, product.

Dave VE3LHO