Topics

QSX radio feature requests

Alan de G1FXB

Being mindful of Hans statement in the QSX preliminary info thread.
I read that as:- LEAVE ME TO IT.....

Now even before the first Kit ships.... Perhaps we should at least just see what the final specification is actually stated to be?

Perhaps limit ourselves initially to Brain storming & Feature request only for topics that CANNOT be otherwise solved by other means ?
LF/ MF, VHF and beyond use. Chances are transverter designs exist, suitable products are available cheaply off ebay's shelves that will satisfy most and a "standard" 10 Band HF QSX will make a potential exciter.
Exotic user interfaces and specific controls, via CAT interface

The QRP Labs mantra is:-
     Maximum performance, for the least cost..
It's tempting to make the QSX  a swiss army knife of radio's
We all have our own wish list, how does yours fit as being a QRP Labs product....

(When the Jr. techs are old enough we can get them interested in LF and +VHF operation
and they can kit some deluxe transverters that will work with their fathers QSX design.
It will not be many years.....)

The Summers family will go down in radio history.

Alan

Hans Summers

Hi Alan, all

I am enjoying the discussion on LF, VHF proposals. All nice ideas and perhaps in time, some can be made reality.

It is useful to remind ourselves that designing and producing a 10-band 160 to 10m all-mode radio kit is not exactly a trivial task. It is not easy even for a large company with large teams of proper electronic engineees at their disposal.

The task does not become any easier when you are planning to deliver very high performance and a long list of functionality, and simultaneously at a very low price.

Nothing even CLOSE to this level of perfomance-and-features to price ratio has EVER before been offered. Nothing like this is available now, nor ever has been.

QSX will be a first. The task is very very difficult already. If this was easy at least someone would have done it already. So I'd like to keep it initially as described, 160-10m.

However, I have already designed in expansion capabilities, both in hardware and in software; and there is physical space available.

Therefore whilst an all-in-one-box walking talking 2200m to 2m all-mode transceiver with 7-inch graphic OLED screen and a rear panel full of different connectors and interfaces is not likely to be possible at this price... I CAN imagine future expansion modules, and/or future QSX variants, which do cover many of the requests and ideas.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018, 16:03 Alan de G1FXB via Groups.Io <g1fxb=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Roy Appleton

Amen!

Roy
WA0YMH

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018, 9:56 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
[...]

Amen! +1

Ethernet please....   ;-)

Alan

On 22/08/2018 15:58, Roy Appleton wrote:
[...]

Fred Piering

Hans:
FOCUS. Finish what you started, in the manner you intended.
All the other stuff can come later.
And, walk out of the corporate headquarters at 5 pm and spend time with your wife and children!
Sincerely
Fred
WD9HNU

On 8/22/2018 10:56 AM, Hans Summers wrote:
[...]

Paul Harrison

I'll second that.

Paul DJ0CU

Alan de G1FXB

Hi Ken,
As you took the time out to write directly
and spend time so nicely formatting it....
It's only correct I should take the time out to see if you ever posted anything on the forum.
I did really.... I couldn't find anything?
Maybe you used a different user ID??
CC'd it to the forum anyway.

Gee, I'm not the QRP Labs "Police" but as you point out:-
nothing more than a sanity check is sometimes in order.  :-)

 Alan

On 22/08/2018 17:27, Ken N9VV wrote:
Hi Alan,
*Thank you* for your note of "sanity" asking the group to back off with all their requests for QSX "features" !!

Inside my head I am an "experimenter and early-adopter builder" <LOL>
Here are some thoughts about my latest experimental feature set:

( )  There is no standard cable interface to my Espresso Maker

( )  The Earth continues to rotate bringing bright sunshine and then darkness into my work-area on a 12hr cycle.

( )  My feet stink.

( )  The new YaeComWoodTek radio has 34 knobs and switches

( )  Future communication calls for 1m, 99.7m, and .03m bands

( )  With the success of FT8, we must be ready for FT9, FT10...FT99

( )  GPS is 40 yrs old  - the new rig must prepare for Pulsar timing

( )  Oh, did I mention that the new Terahertz bands are showing great promise?

72/73 de Ken N9VV

ajparent1/KB1GMX

Let us not try and bestow a herd of elephants to eat before he
enjoys the first one.

From a perspective of someone from the industry.
  The first question I'd ask is how many want that?

Hans needs to do a lot of work (and recover!) and right now I believe
the 40M unit is first on the list and I'll want one no question.  Likely
the 10 bander after that.   For the patient there is a lot in the pipe.

Allison

KE0GYC

Personally, I would be a fan of keeping it simple.  I'm no RF engineer, but it seems that more complexity will add more cost and more things to break.

I am REALLY excited about this radio.  I think it could be built into a really excellent portable radio for SOTA, and the ability to natively use PSK31 is really neat, especially at this price point.  A kit build like this could also have a TON of neat options for building into a case, too.

Kees T

Several years ago, one of the AQRP members developed a standalone transceiver for PSK-31 and later added SSB. It utilized the HobbyPCB Transceiver as the RF frontend and a STM32F746G for the microcontroller and color display. The interface between the two is I/Q signals and it's all DSP . It works pretty well according to Charley, W5BAA. I think that one is also a pretty darn good design point.

He made a Power Point presentation at Austin Summerfest one year.

73 Kees K5BCQ

Kees T

Here is Charley's most recent summary..............

73 Kees K5BCQ

Rick Barnich

All,
I am a casual follower of this forum and was excited to see the QSX announcement. The ink was hardly dry and the requests for additional features started pouring in.
If you recall, when the QCX was announced a year ago, it was after the product had been supplied to a youth forum and hasn't changed much since that time.

You will also notice that the revelation of the QSX come after it's introduction to the same group a year later. Hans has developed the product along the same track as the QCX. In this case, the announced product is a single band tranceiver, with multiband capability to follow. I doubt that the QSX will vary much from what Hans has already divulged.

I am with you in encouraging the simplicity of the QSX at the expense of numerous additional  features. I have over 40 years experience doing embedded systems design and programming. The problems and delays were always caused by changes and new features.

Hans is clearly a master at getting the most bang for the buck.

To Hans I would say, thank you for keeping your eye on the ball.

73, Rick  KA8BMA

Dave VE3LHO

From: Rick Barnich
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 09:53:21 PDT

The problems and delays were always caused by changes and new features.

I would 2nd that: feature churn has delayed and killed more than one, otherwise good, product.

Dave VE3LHO

Fred Piering

from 50 years as an electrical engineer:
The latest "improvement" is always the source of the newest problem.
If you want an all band, all mode, transceiver with internal ATU and Battery, Elecraft will be more than happy to take your loose $1,500.00
72
Fred
WD9HNU

From: Rick Barnich
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 09:53:21 PDT

The problems and delays were always caused by changes and new features.

I would 2nd that: feature churn has delayed and killed more than one, otherwise good, product.

Dave VE3LHO

Braden Glett

I'd like it to be able to operate my toaster too, if possible.

KEN G4APB

All excited future kit builders,
hey, when did we ever get to put our dreams and desires for a rig into the early days of design  with any of the 'bigger' manufacturers where we were listened to and got to discuss with similar minded persons?? This is a unique time for us all.

Hans knows what is easy and what is not to implement. Some good ideas have been aired that he may not have thought of. Doesn't even need to do marketing research!  I am sure this new rig will be another best seller, Love the idea it can come with a case too.

73 Ken G4APB

Hans Summers

Hi Ken

Yes! The suggestions are all very useful! A couple of the requests were a bit far out. But many were new ideas, and very much appreciated. I'm sure that many will make their way into the design, either in the beginning or later, given some time.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Aug 24, 2018 09:39, "KEN G4APB via Groups.Io" <lfoofui.nbz42=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:
All excited future kit builders,
hey, when did we ever get to put our dreams and desires for a rig into the early days of design  with any of the 'bigger' manufacturers where we were listened to and got to discuss with similar minded persons?? This is a unique time for us all.

Hans knows what is easy and what is not to implement. Some good ideas have been aired that he may not have thought of. Doesn't even need to do marketing research!  I am sure this new rig will be another best seller, Love the idea it can come with a case too.

73 Ken G4APB

Alan de G1FXB

Hi Hans,

All non-binding and waving a white flag...  :-)

Perhaps as a fork off the how big case question.

The idea of a full featured radio for trails is a big plus,

however DSP horsepower my consume more than just CPU cycles.

Have you indicative figures so far for current drawn RX and for example 1w, 5w,10w on any band of your choice?

Alan

On 24/08/2018 09:12, Hans Summers wrote:

Yes! The suggestions are all very useful! A couple of the requests were a bit far out. But many were new ideas, and very much appreciated. I'm sure that many will make their way into the design, either in the beginning or later, given some time.

73 Hans G0UPL

Roger Hill

My two cents.

There has been  discussion about battery packs, and ATU's.

If the case could be designed so it could mate with a similarly sized (in width, or depth if mating to the side would be easier) case that would hold the batteries and/or ATU, those two components could be a separate, later project, that would simply plug into the existing case.

So for example, (showing my age), a DB 25 male could plug into a similar female on the side of the QSX, passing through all the power feeds, and maybe the RF (not sure if that would work), and whatever switching lines might be needed.

So you build your QSX, you build your battery/ATU, and simply plug the two boxes together.

I'm not precluding the need for possible internal wiring changes in the QSX, although it would be better if there were none..the act of plugging in the second component made all the right connections come alive..so then you could run 'standalone' or 'mated' without having to go inside either box...

Even one on one side, one on the other... making TWO projects to be sold separately.

Just a thought.

73

G3YTN

Roger

---
***************************
Roger Hill
***************************

On 2018-08-24 10:34, Alan de G1FXB via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi Hans,

All non-binding and waving a white flag...  :-)

Perhaps as a fork off the how big case question.

The idea of a full featured radio for trails is a big plus,

however DSP horsepower my consume more than just CPU cycles.

Have you indicative figures so far for current drawn RX and for example 1w, 5w,10w on any band of your choice?

Alan

On 24/08/2018 09:12, Hans Summers wrote:

Yes! The suggestions are all very useful! A couple of the requests were a bit far out. But many were new ideas, and very much appreciated. I'm sure that many will make their way into the design, either in the beginning or later, given some time.

73 Hans G0UPL

Chris Wilson

Hello QRPLabbers,

Friday, August 24, 2018

I read a lot of posts where whoopsies in the builds occur and people
struggle to remove IC's for replacement, does the design lend itself
to have all or most IC's socketed for easy replacement or for those
times when removal may aid circuit testing?

I would value Allison's opinion on how important FET lead lengths and
trace routing and widths, and those of FET driver IC's remain at LF
and MF as I am fond of experimenting "down there", particularly with
Class D amps. I suspect it is still important as gate and drain
traces seem to respond to careful minimisation of lead lengths and
usage of wide traces.

Good luck, an amazing project, even for ones as talented as Hans and
Allison!

--

2E0ILY
Best regards,