Topics

QRP Labs' Cantenna? #case #antenna

Al Holt

In my last order from QRP Labs I included their 20W dummy load kit. After assembly it seemed a little prickly to handle so I thought I'd containerize it. I found this little tin at a resale shop and it fit the bill nicely.

My homage to another great kit and kit manufacturer. Behold the QRP Labs "Cantenna!"

However, I don't think I'll try filling it with mineral oil..... (a little nutty, I know)

--Al
WD4AH

J68HZ

I found some 5W film resistors to replace the 1W resistors in the kit that fit the board perfectly.  Then got a quart can from the paint shop for pennies and filled it with mineral oil from the hardware store.  My dummy load will take 100W continuous, which makes it perfect for long tune-ups of the 5 watt rigs…

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...

Allen Poland

Beautiful job…great idea.  Before or if you decide to fill the can with oil, I’d be sure to research the effect of the oil on the resistors.

In my last order from QRP Labs I included their 20W dummy load kit. After assembly it seemed a little prickly to handle so I thought I'd containerize it. I found this little tin at a resale shop and it fit the bill nicely.

My homage to another great kit and kit manufacturer. Behold the QRP Labs "Cantenna!"

However, I don't think I'll try filling it with mineral oil..... (a little nutty, I know)

--Al
WD4AH

Joe WB9SBD

Mine costs less,
 and SWR is DEAD FLAT 1 meg to 200 MHz.
can run legal limit 1500 watts into it too.

Joe WB9SBD

The Original Rolling Ball Clock
Idle Tyme
Idle-Tyme.com
http://www.idle-tyme.com

On 8/4/2018 12:10 PM, Allen Poland wrote:

Beautiful job…great idea.  Before or if you decide to fill the can with oil, I’d be sure to research the effect of the oil on the resistors.

In my last order from QRP Labs I included their 20W dummy load kit. After assembly it seemed a little prickly to handle so I thought I'd containerize it. I found this little tin at a resale shop and it fit the bill nicely.

My homage to another great kit and kit manufacturer. Behold the QRP Labs "Cantenna!"

However, I don't think I'll try filling it with mineral oil..... (a little nutty, I know)

--Al
WD4AH

R.Putnam

I used silver sand in my home brew dummy load. A lot less messy if it leaks! Probably not as thermally efficient as oil but it works for me.

Richard g0iln.

Karl Schwab

Hi Richard;

Silver Sand?  What is that?  I live in Michigan (USA) and that is a new term for me.  73, de Karl, KO8S

Alan G4ZFQ

Silver Sand?  What is that?
Karl,

I know what it looks like but had to Google to find what it really is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_sand
Oops another case of lmgtfy:-)

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Karl Schwab

Thanks Alan for the info on "Silver Sand"!  I guess if it heat sinks the power resistors, it's ok.  Interesting though.  Learn something new every day, otherwise, it is a wasted day!  73, de Karl, KO8S