Topics

Encoder for VFO? #vfo

WA1EDJ

I'm looking for the shaft encoder for the VFO kit.  I've seen no references to any PN's.  What ones will work, where can I purchase.?  Is there a PN for the real one used in the VFO?

TNX
Bob  WA1EDJ

Steve

Bob, I’m not positive, but this could be it.

https://goo.gl/7QT44S

Steve N4IAG

rentwist@...

Think the shaft may be longer on that one Steve but otherwise looks correct!

WA1EDJ

TNX, it does look like it.  I'll have to count the detents.

Bob.....EDJ

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <senglish222@...> wrote:

Bob, I’m not positive, but this could be it.

https://goo.gl/7QT44S

Steve N4IAG

WA1EDJ

I see a number of them out on ebay that have an EC11 PN.  Looks like the one.  20 mm shaft and PB switch.  I can cut the shaft down.  They all seem to have 5 pins.

Not expensive, I can give it a try...

Bob....EDJ

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM, Steve via Groups.Io <senglish222=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Bob, I’m not positive, but this could be it.

https://goo.gl/7QT44S

Steve N4IAG

jjpurdum

As long as you can figure out which pins do what on the encoder, chances are pretty good that it will work. I used a super-cheap KY-040A encoder with its builtin switch in a circuit for almost a year. I then picked up an optical encoder (no switch, but no "speed bumps" either) at a swap meet and it working in the same circuit is about a minute. Just be careful when buying the cheap ones, as some of them do not have threaded shafts, which often makes them difficult to mount.

Jack, W8TEE