Topics

QCX-40 : Finished , now aligning and learning. A few questions about L4, T1&C1 , H1-4 #t1 #qcx #bpf #alignment

Al Szymanski

Passed first no-smoke test today. Pretty confident that I will need to remove windings from T1, but the manual raises a question. How large a number can there be for the first BPF alignment? I know that mine is off as C1 is either fully bedded, or fully disengaged ( not sure yet which ) and the reading is scale 9 with many bars. How high can it go?
I followed the directions exactly - making only one major stupid error (fixed), so I wound L4 first. By the time I got to T1, I was getting very nice tight clean wraps using a bobbin. In comparison now - L4 is loose and ugly. Is there a significant value in just re-winding it out of hand, since it's part of the Class E amp?
Lastly, the circuit diagram has H1 thru H4 grounded (left side of diagram), what are they and where are they? Holes?
Greatly enjoyed building the kit. Last kit was a Heathkit over 40 years ago.
Thanks, Al

Alan G4ZFQ

How large a number *can* there be for the first BPF alignment? I know that mine is off as C1 is either fully bedded, or fully disengaged ( not sure yet which ) and the reading is scale 9 with many bars. How high can it go?
Al,

I do not know about the reading but the trimmer is where you need it. Neither fully meshed or fully open, anywhere in between is good.

L4 is loose and ugly. Is there a significant value in just re-winding it out of hand, since it's part of the Class E amp?
Probably not although you might want to do it to make it look good.

Lastly, the circuit diagram has H1 thru H4 grounded (left side of diagram), what are they and where are they? Holes?
Yes, that's what they look like.

73 Alan G4ZFQ