expecting it to remain CMD based for ages.... Thank you! Browser is
current Firefox, OS Windows 7 64 bit Pro.

http://www.chriswilson.tv/gui.jpg

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Hello all,
Here's a first working version of the web frontend for the
u3s-eeprom-tool. You can find the web interface here: https://hq.scene.ro/u3s-tool-gui/
You need a modern browser to run it since it makes use of modern
features which allow the browser to read local files without having
to upload them to my server. There's still more work to do on
cleaning up internals, proper error handling and usability
improvements but the happy flows should be working. I would
appreciate any feedback on how the tool works (or doesn't work) for you.
73! Adrian, YO6SSW _._,_._,_

--

2E0ILY
Best regards,

Adrian Scripcă

Hi Chris,

I'm glad the tool is working for you!

73! Adrian, YO6SSW

On Wed, Apr 11, 2018, 15:01 Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:
Hello Adrian,

Awesome! You have been busy, this is just what I had hoped for but was

 Wednesday, April 11, 2018

--

 2E0ILY
Best regards,

--
Best regards, Chris Wilson (2E0ILY)

KEN G4APB

Hi Adrian,
what a great tool! Many thanks for all your work.
Loaded up fine with Google Chrome, Windows 7 Home 64bit.

A couple of nitpick points;
1) 'SAVE' command like like it will overwrite the opened .eep file. Could we have ability to change the saved file name or have I missed something?
2) Transmissions -Mode. Display of mode is cut off at end (try WSPR = ...WSP + half 'R' character.) Can you expand the box  to show the full mode description listed in the pull down menu?
3) Same area, but could you swap the WSPR mode descriptions so 'WSPR' appears first in the line. I thought you had missed this mode off the list at first.
4) WSPR 15 minute mode is actually called WSPR15, maybe you could update the description in the mode list too.

73 Ken G4APB

Adrian Scripcă

Hi Ken,

what a great tool! Many thanks for all your work.

Thank you for testing it out and confirming it works.

1) 'SAVE' command like like it will overwrite the opened .eep file. Could we have ability to change the saved file name or have I missed something?

This is behavior dependent on how your web browser is configured. I assume that you have it configured to automatically downjload files to your Downloads folder or something alike. You should have it configured so that it will ask you for a specific location for each download. In order to know how to do this, please check the following link https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95759?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en (Change download locations section)

2) Transmissions -Mode. Display of mode is cut off at end (try WSPR = ...WSP + half 'R' character.) Can you expand the box  to show the full mode description listed in the pull down menu?
3) Same area, but could you swap the WSPR mode descriptions so 'WSPR' appears first in the line. I thought you had missed this mode off the list at first.
4) WSPR 15 minute mode is actually called WSPR15, maybe you could update the description in the mode list too.

I did that just now by replacing the mode comments which I previously displayed in the select box with the mode short name. Let me know if that is what you are after.

 73! Adrian, YO6SSW

Chris Wilson

Hello KEN,

Ditto re the save function, is it possible, Adrian, to have a Save As?
I hadn't realised the saved file went to the designated Download
folder. Great stuff, a real time and temper saver!!

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Hi Adrian,
[...]

Chris hit the nail on the head. Thats exactly what I meant to say. I tried your recommended Google approach, however, this first immediately saves the edited file in the Download area designated as 'org filename (1), (2)' etc and does not give you the full name of what file you just saved or the option to rename it, and 'SAVE AS' only comes up if you then open the saved file again in the browser.

Also, you seem to have missed out your very useful version control visibility. Could you put this up in an 'ABOUT' box?

PLUS, very important - can you display the version of U3S .eep firmware this version runs with. I know you are only looking at U3S v3.12a at the moment but that is dynamic, so stating the obvious for others would be good.
Can you relate long the eeprom file version number (i.e 12345678) put in by Hans to the version we all recognise (v3.12a)?

best 73 Ken G4APB

Adrian Scripcă

Hi Chris, Ken,

Alas there is no way one can control the browser's save file dialog behavior from scripting so we'll just have to live with that.
Thanks to your suggestions, I added details like version control visibility, eeprom file version number and worked on error reporting, making it visible when something goes wrong.
I also hosted the tool on Github since my home server was not reliable. You can find the new version hosted at https://yo6ssw.github.io/u3s-eeprom-tool/ . There is also a CLI tool link in the menu that redirects to the latest CLI tool release.

73! Adrian, YO6SSW

Chris Wilson

Hello Adrian,

That's looking really neat and is very usable, thanks for the
continued work on this!

Monday, April 30, 2018

Hi Chris, Ken,

[...]

I am not sure what has gone wrong here but the latest CLI has stopped working for me:-

C:\Users\KenMay\Downloads\u3s-eeprom-tool-win64>u3s-eeprom-tool show v3.12a mess
age

ERROR: Failed to open v3.12a for reading.

Version: v1-17-ge7510db built at 1524736609.

My .eep file is in the same folder as the CLI, and I could read this previously and opens ok with your web programme. Attached .eep file for you.

73 Ken G4APB

Chris Wilson

Hello KEN,

Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Hi Adrian,
I am not sure what has gone wrong here but the latest CLI has stopped working for me:-

C:\Users\KenMay\Downloads\u3s-eeprom-tool-win64>u3s-eeprom-tool
show v3.12a mess age ERROR: Failed to open v3.12a for reading.
Version: v1-17-ge7510db built at 1524736609.
My .eep file is in the same folder as the CLI, and I could read
this previously and opens ok with your web programme. Attached .eep file for you.
73 Ken G4APB_._,_._,_
Hi Ken, I put your .eep file in the same folder (called U3S) in C:/
as the tool, and the current tool opened and read it fine and I saved it as
test.json which was readable in Notepad++

--

2E0ILY
Best regards,
Chris mailto:chris@chriswilson.tv

--
Best regards, Chris Wilson (2E0ILY)

KEN G4APB

Thanks Chris,
I forgot to include the full path names to the .eep file in the CLi. Works OK now.

To Adrian,
many thanks for the updates including CLi version control and EEPROM version display. I have a few older versions to clear out and this makes it easier to identify.

73 Ken G4APB