Topics

coils and glue

Allen Poland

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?
Al,

Epoxy would make any rework difficult.
I've used hot-melt and others have recommended it, I guess it makes no noticeable difference.
I cut a small piece, put in position and melt with the tip of an iron.

73 Alan G4FZQ

Allen Poland

Thanks Alan. I was leaning toward hot clue and of course using it after
everything is adjusted properly. I intend to experiment with this before
doing it though. I have some toroid cores that I'm going to wind, measure
the inductance and then anchor it with hot glue. I thought I'd ask here and
perhaps save some time.

Al

I've been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any
detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m
kit?
Al,

Epoxy would make any rework difficult.
I've used hot-melt and others have recommended it, I guess it makes no
noticeable difference.
I cut a small piece, put in position and melt with the tip of an iron.

73 Alan G4FZQ

Graham, VE3GTC

Al,

Both would work BUT epoxy is near impossible to remove if the need ever arises. Hot glue can be messy but many use it.

I however prefer to use nail polish; two or three applications will keep things from moving around.

Just about any kind will do but some of the premiere brands are a bit better. I like "Sally hansen Telon Tuff nail protector" only because someone else suggested this brand and after comparing to another it "seemed" to work a bit better in the way I was using it. I just get my wife to get me some when she is at the store. A couple of different colours are good for marking or identifying different things. Not very expensive, it takes about a year for me to use one small bottle and I build stuff quite a bit.

cheers, Graham ve3gtc

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Michael Clarke

BEESWAX - The old-fashioned option of beeswax is perhaps best of all. It is hard, solid with smooth surface, and sets likewise, without hot glue's whiskers catching untidy all around.
Held over the target with a hot soldering iron near, it melts readily, runs and drips into place.
Likewise, to remove, it again melts with modest heat held near.
I got mine from a hard ware shop that had supplies used by furniture makers and polishers.
Not a new idea, copied from George Dobbs's QRP writings.
And widel used in the early days of radio home construction, from before the word electronics was invented.
73 Michael Mi5MTC

--
Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL

Allen Poland

Thanks for the info Graham. Will keep an eye out for this stuff although MY building is probably over, the QCX being the last.

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any
detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m
kit?

Al

campaign=sig-email&utm_content=emailclient&utm_term=link>

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Allen Poland

Michael:  Thank you for your input.  Never considered or ever used beeswax in my life.  I doubt if that stuff  is available in this “black hole” of WV!  Maybe commode seal….. I don’t know what is used here anymore. Only drawback I can see is messing up the soldering iron tip.

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--

Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

J68HZ

I always use hot glue to secure my coils to the PCB.  Works every time and they can be removed if need be.  Rarely do they move in inductance (only at VHF+).

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook!

Moderator – North American QRO Yahoo Group.

email:  bill@...

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--

Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

jjpurdum

The A.I. Root Company, Medina, OH, sells beeswax in bulk or candles. It's also good for a squeaky fan belt or a sticky door jamb.

Jack, W8TEE

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--
Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

Michael Clarke

Hi Allen - no need to mess up the soldering iron tip. The heat from being near  the tip or  body round the heating element is enough to melt beeswax. It need never touch the soldering iron tip, and if it does goes liquid and drops off. 73 Michael Mi5MTC

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--

Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

--
Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

Michael Baker

Isn't this the same stuff that Baby Bells Cheese is covered with? If so then just go to the grocery store.

Allen Poland

Copy that Michael.  Thank you.  Who said “old dogs can’t learn new tricks?”

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--

Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

--

Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

Allen Poland

Thanks Doc!  ‘ppreciate your input!  I think I will go with the glue gun.  I use it for a multitude of other things and thought it might be good to anchor toroids.  But since my experience with these things have been somewhat limited, I thought I’d ask.  When I power this thing up I don’t want any copy ANY problems.  I’m at the age where I have more problems than I need! Why I decided to build this thing is beyond me.  Guess maybe I got caught up in the spirit of the thing.  J

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--

Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

David Wilcox

I think that is paraffin wax, not bees wax as it is not slippery and has no lubricating properties.

Dave K8WPE

On Mar 10, 2018, at 11:21 PM, Michael Baker <k7ddmjb@...> wrote:

Isn't this the same stuff that Baby Bells Cheese is covered with? If so then just go to the grocery store.

Alvey Street

Beeswax is used in dressmaking and lace making.  Find a sewing machine shop and ask there.  I have lost count of the number of Weller PC1 tips ruined by using them for other things than soldering..and now I am retired, I have to buy my own tips, so I hsve stopped doing it.

Regards Vin g4ksy

On 2018-03-10 05:45, Allen Poland wrote:

I’ve been wondering if hot clue or epoxy (clear) would have any detrimental effect on the LPF coils and the transformer in the QCX 20m kit?

Al

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

--

Mick Mi5mtc
LOC IO64EL
GQRP 9630
FISTS 7740

Alvey Street

I use baby bell wax. You can get red and a blue/purple colour.  Both work well.

Regards Vin g4ksy