Topics

ProgRock - Serial

Robin Midgett

Greetings to the group.

I'd like the benefit of anyone's experience with serial programming of the Prog Rock.

I've interfaced one of these boards https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731 for my USB to RS232, and set the switch on it for Vcc levels, which should be 5 volt logic. Testing it, I see 4 volts p-p with traffic on the Tx line. I made the Rx & TX & Gnd connections to the BCD switches & verified via continuity check that they connect to pins 12 & 13 on the microcontroller; no joy with the ProgRock; no data. I've confirmed the settings in the terminal program as in the manual for the ProgRock, accounted for appending CR-LF, & even tried another terminal program. I've done a loop back test by jumpering Tx to Rx on the RS-232 side of the USB converter & that works. Still, the ProgRock remains silent. I don't even get the software version report upon power up of the ProgRock.
I have disconnected the GPS from the header and grounded the 1PPS input whilst trying to communicate with the Prog Rock; no joy.
Suggestions are welcomed..

Robin Midgett

One other thing..I have a frequency programmed into CLK0 of 16.868666 MHz. via the DIP switches & push button, & that is nearly the frequency I get out.

Alan G4ZFQ

I'd like the benefit of anyone's experience with serial programming of the Prog Rock.
Roger,

Here are my notes https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/progrock_update#Serial
only thing you have not mentioned seems to be (S1-3 ON).

73 Alan G4ZFQ

I've interfaced one of these boards https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731 <https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12731> for my USB to RS232, and set the switch on it for Vcc levels, which should be 5 volt logic. Testing it, I see 4 volts p-p with traffic on the Tx line. I made the Rx & TX & Gnd connections to the BCD switches & verified via continuity check that they connect to pins 12 & 13 on the microcontroller; no joy with the ProgRock; no data. I've confirmed the settings in the terminal program as in the manual for the ProgRock, accounted for appending CR-LF, & even tried another terminal program. I've done a loop back test by jumpering Tx to Rx on the RS-232 side of the USB converter & that works. Still, the ProgRock remains silent. I don't even get the software version report upon power up of the ProgRock.
I have disconnected the GPS from the header and grounded the 1PPS input whilst trying to communicate with the Prog Rock; no joy.
Suggestions are welcomed..

Robin Midgett

Thanks for the help, Alan. S1-3 is on (grounded) with a jumper, Tx & Rx lines are double verified.

Studying the thing tonight, I think I've found the problem. From the manual regarding firmware revisions:
pr1.01 06.Mar.2017 - Added serial interface configuration option

My chip:

Alan G4ZFQ

My chip:
Robin,

That seems to say it all!
I describe how to reprogram that chip on the page I linked.
Or, there are instructions in this groups files.

73 aG4ZFQ

Robin Midgett

Right, and I'm thankful. I have an Arduino kit, new & in the box. It seems it's time to open it..
Thanks for the help!

Robin Midgett K4IDC