20 metre QCX has died?? #qcx

Rick Williams - VE7TK

Today I decided to modify some of the parameters in the menu on my QCX. This was a working QCX with mods done for processor boot up and power amp instability.

The QCX booted normally and I reset the startup VFO A frequency from the default of 14.020 to 14.050 and Saved the Settings.

I turned off the rig and rebooted it and now LCD display shows all blocks. According to the troubleshooting guide I should have 20 MHz on pins 9/10 of IC2. My scope on pins 9/10 shows noise - sigh.

All signs are point towards a malfunction of the processor! This is not good day :-(

(QCX #1129 and PCB Rev. 2)
--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Rick Williams - VE7TK

A change of events.

When I wrote my 1st message the display at boot up showed 2 rows of blocks. It is now showing only one row of blocks. Still no 20 MHz osc on IC2 pins 9/10.
--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Sven Ladegast

Hello Rick,

If the LCD is schowing one row of blocks, this is a clear sign of the LCD not being initialized. So the main processor does not run and did not send the initialization routine to the LCD.

How did you flash the controller? - I think you most likely messed up the fuses that prevents the processor to run.

73!

Sven, DJ2AT

Am 12.02.2018 04:45, schrieb Rick W via Groups.Io:

A change of events.
When I wrote my 1st message the display at boot up showed 2 rows of
blocks. It is now showing only one row of blocks. Still no 20 MHz osc
on IC2 pins 9/10.
--
73, Rick
VE7TK
Links:
------
[1] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/message/21437
[2] https://groups.io/mt/11011401/503232
[3] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/post
[4] https://groups.io/mk?hashtag=qcx&subid=1012809
[5] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/editsub/503232
[6] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs
[7] https://groups.io/static/tos
[8] https://groups.io/g/QRPLabs/leave/defanged
--
Sven Ladegast
Mühlenstraße 10

Alan G4ZFQ

I turned off the rig and rebooted it and now LCD display shows all blocks. According to the troubleshooting guide I should have 20 MHz on pins 9/10 of IC2. My scope on pins 9/10 shows noise - sigh.
Rick,

You looked here http://qrp-labs.com/qcx/qcxtrouble.html#blank and onwards? Startup modification?
And are you sure your scope is not loading the oscillator and stopping it?
Looking for it on a RX is a second method.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Alan de G1FXB

Hi Rick,

    As the build was working OK before,
Double check you still have 5v actually on Pin 7 and Pin 20 of IC3
the MCU, to perhaps discount one of the inductors having gone O/C in the meantime.

regards Alan

On 12/02/2018 02:27, Rick W via Groups.Io wrote:
Today I decided to modify some of the parameters in the menu on my QCX. This was a working QCX with mods done for processor boot up and power amp instability.

The QCX booted normally and I reset the startup VFO A frequency from the default of 14.020 to 14.050 and Saved the Settings.

I turned off the rig and rebooted it and now LCD display shows all blocks. According to the troubleshooting guide I should have 20 MHz on pins 9/10 of IC2. My scope on pins 9/10 shows noise - sigh.

All signs are point towards a malfunction of the processor! This is not good day :-(

(QCX #1129 and PCB Rev. 2)
--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Rick Williams - VE7TK

Thanks to all who have responded.

I have found that I do indeed have a 20 MHz signal on pin 9/10 of the controller (apologies to all I must have miscounted).

However, the symptoms have not changed.

Alan G1FXB - I have 5 VDC on pins 7 and 20 of the controller (IC2).

Sven DJ2AT - I agree that one of the fuses is likely messed up or worse and it may require a new controller chip.
--
73, Rick
VE7TK

Sven Ladegast

Am 13.02.2018 07:53, schrieb Rick W via Groups.Io:

Sven DJ2AT - I agree that one of the fuses is likely messed up or
worse and it may require a new controller chip.
Hello Rick,

I don't think this requires a new controller chip! - All you need to do is setting the fuses correctly for the controller to work.

I think you might have messed up the oscillator fuses...?

How did you flash the new software (which flash program, hardware)? - We could alter your setup that you will not need any new controller and you are able to flash any new firmware that comes out.

So Ricik, it is your task!

73!

Sven, DJ2AT