Date   

Re: Winding toroids

chmims
 

10% of males are red - green color blind.

Charles KG5ZLH


Re: QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo - 08/09 August

Bill Cromwell
 

Hi Hans,

A couple of 6146 tubes heavily driven and loaded will keep you coffee hot while making lots of RF.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 8/10/20 9:14 AM, Hans Summers wrote:
Thanks Julian
It surprises me that it was found so interesting :-)
I realized later that there were lots of things I forgot to show, such as my tube collection :-/
73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com


Re: Difficulty during alignment - RF output #20m #qcx #problem

Alan G4ZFQ
 

Q6, Q1, Q2, Q3 were all showing 13.46V DC - again WITHOUT KEY DOWN. L4 now shows 13.46V DC without key down at both pads.
Q6 is probably shorted although it could be turned on by a faulty Q4. Check Q4 voltages to be sure.

L1 shows as high as -9V (yes negative!)
DC and varies to as low as -4V DC during key down. L1 has 0.5V DC (positive value here) constant WITHOUT KEY DOWN.
Ignore this. DC voltages mean nothing here although the +ve comes via R43 and is of no importance.

73 Alan G4ZFQ


Re: QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo - 08/09 August

Hans Summers
 

Thanks Julian

It surprises me that it was found so interesting :-) 

I realized later that there were lots of things I forgot to show, such as my tube collection :-/

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:52 PM Julian Rolfe via groups.io <g4uet=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
That has to be one of the most interesting hours I have spent watching both live and on youtube in ages.

Its really simple to place an order on a website, pay some money electronically, and receive a package a while later but to see what actually has to happen in reality to make it all happen is really enlightening, congratulations on you and the QRPLabs team for their contribution to our fabulous hobby and carrying in the art of home construction.

Very much looking forward to the QCX mini and hopefully one day the ‘best qrp multiband rig’ in the world for home construction 👍👍🥺


Re: Difficulty during alignment - RF output #20m #qcx #problem

W5EGA@...
 

Ron,

I had been using the built in test equipment. I went back and checked with my multimeter this morning before work and Q6, Q1, Q2, Q3 were all showing 13.46V DC - again WITHOUT KEY DOWN. L4 now shows 13.46V DC without key down at both pads. L1 shows as high as -9V (yes negative!) DC and varies to as low as -4V DC during key down. L1 has 0.5V DC (positive value here) constant WITHOUT KEY DOWN. I don't remember what L2 and L3 DC readings were off the top of my head. 

Thanks again for your help!


Re: Recording of QRP Labs HQ tour

Hans Summers
 

Thanks guys, that's good to know...

I had bought a paid Zoom subscription for the QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo this weekend, so that I could host a meeting longer than 40 minutes. But now I have cancelled my subscription, save some money, and we can meet in future at meet.jit.si !

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:34 PM Steven Dick <sbdick@...> wrote:
I have used meet.jit.si for many family meetings and group meetings and it works well.  It does not have all the bells and whistles that zoom has, but it is actually simpler to use and initiate a meeting.  just type in meet.jit/si/<meeting name>  It may ask you to download a small app. Preferred web browser is chrome. The first person that signs in is automatically the leader.  It is secure and open source. Leader can password protect if desired. Phone-ins can also be done. You can try it with a local friend to play with it.  Easy peasy.

-Steve K1RF

------ Original Message ------
From: "geoff M0ORE via groups.io" <m0ore@...>
Sent: 8/10/2020 6:57:58 AM
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] Recording of QRP Labs HQ tour

A couple of local groups near me are using jit.si meet for regular chats. No leader required and un-limited time. The chat room is open 24 hours a day for anyone to just call in.

On 10/08/2020 09:58, Lex PH2LB wrote:
Hello Hans,

The Zoom sessions were the most fun part of the QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo, as far as I am concerned. ...... So we could run such a session once a month or something for QRP Labbers to get together.

I really enjoyed the Zoom sessions and it's nice hear idea's and opinions like that. 

You got my vote regarding once a month a QRP Labbers Zoom meetup to share idea's and project showing. 
 

 




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



U3S 1st Test in Dummy Load #20m #u3s

Julian Rolfe
 

Excuse the clutter, almost like Hans in his Saturday session but I have used the lounge table whilst on vacation (aka building radio stuff) as its the coolest room in the house during the UK heatwave😀

Delighted to say I have TX into a dummy load running off 5V (linear) supply.

Just have to finish off integrating the proper regulator board, with 5V and 9V switchable and then hopefully
into an antenna.

I have only set for 20M initially although have 40,20,30,15 and 10 in the lineup, setting the config takes a bit of getting used to, its satisfying hearing the little click as the number 3 filter relay kicks in😀

Have loved this build from the outset, and look forward to many more.

Thanks Hans for coming up with this delight🙏


Re: Winding toroids

Hans Summers
 

Hi Steve

Thanks for the interesting idea. I expect it should work well. But I am not altogether convinced that the majority of constructors would find it easier! So far I have avoided multiple wire colours because it complicates the kitting process and increases the costs. 

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 2:25 PM Steven Dick <sbdick@...> wrote:
Hi Hans.  I greatly enjoyed participating in the Zoom meetings these past two days associated with the QSO Today Ham Radio Expo.  On the subject of winding toroids, I don't know if this is of value but perhaps it may help in simplifying the winding process.  In the QCX+, winding T1 is the most complex of the winding efforts. It includes one primary and three secondaries.  Of these, three of the windings have the same number of turns (Primary, secondary 1, and secondary 2.)  For these windings, why not wind them in a trifilar fashion, I.E. twist them all together and wind them as though they were a single winding, then break out the leads appropriately to the correct holes.  It might be helpful to have different color wires for these.  They can be twisted together by fixing one end in a vice and using a drill at the opposite end, clamping all three wires in the chuck and run the drill slowly. This provides even twists,  perhaps using something like 5 twists per inch. The length of the wires will have to be slightly longer to accommodate the twists compared to individual windings. The advantages of this technique are as follows:

1. You are doing a single winding effort for Primary, secondary 1, and secondary 2. instead of three separate winding efforts.
2. You have more space available for the large winding (secondary 3) which may ease fitting all the windings neatly, such as on 80 meters.
3. You actually will get improved transformer performance at the high end as the leakage inductances will be significantly reduced between these three windings.  I've done measurements on 1 to 1 toroid transformers conventionally wound and bifilar wound and the high frequency end is vastly improved for the bifilar winding in a 50 ohm system. Note that there is increased capacitance between the windings but this has little effect in a low impedance system like 50 ohms.

If I'm all wet, I'll take three lashes with number 28 wire but I think this will work, based on my experience with other toroid based transformers.  Don't know if I want to try it on my shiny new QCX+ which I just started building.  Thoughts by all appreciated.

-Steve K1RF



Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



Re: Winding toroids

geoff M0ORE
 

You don't need different coloured wires, just buzz them out and mark each winding with a permanent marker with different colours. Just wound the transformer for the U3S and used red, green and black markers. Sooo easy.

On 10/08/2020 12:25, Steven Dick wrote:
Hi Hans.  I greatly enjoyed participating in the Zoom meetings these past two days associated with the QSO Today Ham Radio Expo.  On the subject of winding toroids, I don't know if this is of value but perhaps it may help in simplifying the winding process.  In the QCX+, winding T1 is the most complex of the winding efforts. It includes one primary and three secondaries.  Of these, three of the windings have the same number of turns (Primary, secondary 1, and secondary 2.)  For these windings, why not wind them in a trifilar fashion, I.E. twist them all together and wind them as though they were a single winding, then break out the leads appropriately to the correct holes.  It might be helpful to have different color wires for these.  They can be twisted together by fixing one end in a vice and using a drill at the opposite end, clamping all three wires in the chuck and run the drill slowly. This provides even twists,  perhaps using something like 5 twists per inch. The length of the wires will have to be slightly longer to accommodate the twists compared to individual windings. The advantages of this technique are as follows:

1. You are doing a single winding effort for Primary, secondary 1, and secondary 2. instead of three separate winding efforts.
2. You have more space available for the large winding (secondary 3) which may ease fitting all the windings neatly, such as on 80 meters.
3. You actually will get improved transformer performance at the high end as the leakage inductances will be significantly reduced between these three windings.  I've done measurements on 1 to 1 toroid transformers conventionally wound and bifilar wound and the high frequency end is vastly improved for the bifilar winding in a 50 ohm system. Note that there is increased capacitance between the windings but this has little effect in a low impedance system like 50 ohms.

If I'm all wet, I'll take three lashes with number 28 wire but I think this will work, based on my experience with other toroid based transformers.  Don't know if I want to try it on my shiny new QCX+ which I just started building.  Thoughts by all appreciated.

-Steve K1RF



Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



Re: Recording of QRP Labs HQ tour

Steven Dick
 

I have used meet.jit.si for many family meetings and group meetings and it works well.  It does not have all the bells and whistles that zoom has, but it is actually simpler to use and initiate a meeting.  just type in meet.jit/si/<meeting name>  It may ask you to download a small app. Preferred web browser is chrome. The first person that signs in is automatically the leader.  It is secure and open source. Leader can password protect if desired. Phone-ins can also be done. You can try it with a local friend to play with it.  Easy peasy.

-Steve K1RF

------ Original Message ------
From: "geoff M0ORE via groups.io" <m0ore@...>
Sent: 8/10/2020 6:57:58 AM
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] Recording of QRP Labs HQ tour

A couple of local groups near me are using jit.si meet for regular chats. No leader required and un-limited time. The chat room is open 24 hours a day for anyone to just call in.

On 10/08/2020 09:58, Lex PH2LB wrote:
Hello Hans,

The Zoom sessions were the most fun part of the QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo, as far as I am concerned. ...... So we could run such a session once a month or something for QRP Labbers to get together.

I really enjoyed the Zoom sessions and it's nice hear idea's and opinions like that. 

You got my vote regarding once a month a QRP Labbers Zoom meetup to share idea's and project showing. 
 

 




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



Winding toroids

Steven Dick
 

Hi Hans.  I greatly enjoyed participating in the Zoom meetings these past two days associated with the QSO Today Ham Radio Expo.  On the subject of winding toroids, I don't know if this is of value but perhaps it may help in simplifying the winding process.  In the QCX+, winding T1 is the most complex of the winding efforts. It includes one primary and three secondaries.  Of these, three of the windings have the same number of turns (Primary, secondary 1, and secondary 2.)  For these windings, why not wind them in a trifilar fashion, I.E. twist them all together and wind them as though they were a single winding, then break out the leads appropriately to the correct holes.  It might be helpful to have different color wires for these.  They can be twisted together by fixing one end in a vice and using a drill at the opposite end, clamping all three wires in the chuck and run the drill slowly. This provides even twists,  perhaps using something like 5 twists per inch. The length of the wires will have to be slightly longer to accommodate the twists compared to individual windings. The advantages of this technique are as follows:

1. You are doing a single winding effort for Primary, secondary 1, and secondary 2. instead of three separate winding efforts.
2. You have more space available for the large winding (secondary 3) which may ease fitting all the windings neatly, such as on 80 meters.
3. You actually will get improved transformer performance at the high end as the leakage inductances will be significantly reduced between these three windings.  I've done measurements on 1 to 1 toroid transformers conventionally wound and bifilar wound and the high frequency end is vastly improved for the bifilar winding in a 50 ohm system. Note that there is increased capacitance between the windings but this has little effect in a low impedance system like 50 ohms.

If I'm all wet, I'll take three lashes with number 28 wire but I think this will work, based on my experience with other toroid based transformers.  Don't know if I want to try it on my shiny new QCX+ which I just started building.  Thoughts by all appreciated.

-Steve K1RF



Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



Re: QCX+ Build Step 3.72 #qcx

Daniel Conklin
 

I have usually just left the LCD plastic film in place since you can't even see it when the LCD is lit.
--
73, Dan - W2DLC


Re: Recording of QRP Labs HQ tour

geoff M0ORE
 

A couple of local groups near me are using jit.si meet for regular chats. No leader required and un-limited time. The chat room is open 24 hours a day for anyone to just call in.

On 10/08/2020 09:58, Lex PH2LB wrote:
Hello Hans,

The Zoom sessions were the most fun part of the QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo, as far as I am concerned. ...... So we could run such a session once a month or something for QRP Labbers to get together.

I really enjoyed the Zoom sessions and it's nice hear idea's and opinions like that. 

You got my vote regarding once a month a QRP Labbers Zoom meetup to share idea's and project showing. 
 

 


Re: QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo - 08/09 August

Julian Rolfe
 

That has to be one of the most interesting hours I have spent watching both live and on youtube in ages.

Its really simple to place an order on a website, pay some money electronically, and receive a package a while later but to see what actually has to happen in reality to make it all happen is really enlightening, congratulations on you and the QRPLabs team for their contribution to our fabulous hobby and carrying in the art of home construction.

Very much looking forward to the QCX mini and hopefully one day the ‘best qrp multiband rig’ in the world for home construction 👍👍🥺


Re: Encoder type/mfgr. QCX?

Allan Nelsson
 

I knew I had seen somewhere how to handle a full-cycle or a half-cycle encoder and also debouncing: https://www.rfzero.net/tutorials/rotary-encoder/

 

 Of course you need to have access to the code.

 

Allan, oz5xn


Re: Recording of QRP Labs HQ tour

Lex PH2LB
 

Hello Hans,

The Zoom sessions were the most fun part of the QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo, as far as I am concerned. ...... So we could run such a session once a month or something for QRP Labbers to get together.

I really enjoyed the Zoom sessions and it's nice hear idea's and opinions like that. 

You got my vote regarding once a month a QRP Labbers Zoom meetup to share idea's and project showing. 
 

73

Lex PH2LB 


Re: 0.03w RF output, 1w at transistor drains, Help? #qcx

scot forshaw
 

I would ask Hans to confirm, 

he may have qualitative results. RF 101 says the 50W PA would amplify everything coming from the QCX+ of course, and without a pre LPF that will include all the unwanted harmonics. Relying on the final LPF to get rid of these at 50w may not be a good idea IMHO. The fidelity of that LPF would need to be very high. 

As the PA is being used, I don't see any air miles in omitting the internal LPF as the gain would be negligible. Also the impedance matching of the PA to AMP may not be as expected.

The Class E amplifier is intrinsically linked to the highly balanced LPF.

My suggestion is to 1) Ask Hans, 2) don't omit it for the fear of unwanted issues in the Class E final amplifier stage. These class E amps are very susceptible all kinds of issues if the load/LPF is not correct.

Scot
2E0WWV



Re: Recording of QRP Labs HQ tour

John Baines
 

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the workshop tour and zoom meeting.

I would look forward to a monthly zoom meeting.

72/73
John
M0JBA

On 10 Aug 2020, at 08:41, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Thanks for attending, Shane! 

The Zoom sessions were the most fun part of the QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo, as far as I am concerned. Yet - ZOOM is not even part of the expo! So we could run such a session once a month or something for QRP Labbers to get together. That would be fun and would be a lot cheaper than the Expo :-)

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 5:31 AM Shane Justice <justshane@...> wrote:
Hans,
Thank you for posting the tour of QRPLabs!

It was quite interesting to see your work area! I enjoyed your story about acquiring your test equipment in Japan. 

Thank you, as well for the time you spent today hosting the conversation today! I apologize for having to leave the conversation so abruptly, upon the arrival of my friend. I hope you will offer another opportunity to chat again in another zoom session in the near future.

Best regards to you and your family!

73,
Shane
KE7TR


On Aug 9, 2020 at 15:01, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote: 

Hi all

I uploaded to YouTube, the recording of the ZOOM live video presentation tour of QRP Labs HQ from 08-Aug-2020 1800Z at the QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo. See https://youtu.be/0qa3wMkMhsU

It isn't a very high quality video but this is what the ZOOM recording function produces so we're stuck with it. 

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com




Re: U3S Error: Si5351A

geoff M0ORE
 

When installing the daughter board, it is very easy to reverse the board. I very nearly did this on my first build which was a ProgRock. For the VFO and recently U3S, I installed the connector strips so that a male and a female are on each board. This means that it cannot be installed the wrong way round. I have done the same with the LPF on the U3S and the BPF for the receiver will be done same way.

This is a bit late for you as yours is built but just check.

On 10/08/2020 03:35, John AK4AT wrote:
I built a U3S about 7 months ago and the 20 mHz crystal was faulty. I installed the replacement today, which works now, and I installed a new chip with V3.12a. I correctly get "Diagnostic" on power up, and U3S after pressing the left button. However, that is followed by Error: Si5351A. I have triple checked my work. I saw what I thought was a bridge across 2 pins of the factory soldered chip on the Si5351A board and corrected that, but I still have the same problem. I have read a lot of threads about this error, but other than a few who replaced the board, most did not return to say what trouble they found. Since this is a U3S instead of a U3, there doesn't seem to be a troubleshooting procedure for this. Any ideas?

John AK4AT


Re: Recording of QRP Labs HQ tour

Hans Summers
 

Thanks for attending, Shane! 

The Zoom sessions were the most fun part of the QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo, as far as I am concerned. Yet - ZOOM is not even part of the expo! So we could run such a session once a month or something for QRP Labbers to get together. That would be fun and would be a lot cheaper than the Expo :-)

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 5:31 AM Shane Justice <justshane@...> wrote:
Hans,
Thank you for posting the tour of QRPLabs!

It was quite interesting to see your work area! I enjoyed your story about acquiring your test equipment in Japan. 

Thank you, as well for the time you spent today hosting the conversation today! I apologize for having to leave the conversation so abruptly, upon the arrival of my friend. I hope you will offer another opportunity to chat again in another zoom session in the near future.

Best regards to you and your family!

73,
Shane
KE7TR


On Aug 9, 2020 at 15:01, Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi all

I uploaded to YouTube, the recording of the ZOOM live video presentation tour of QRP Labs HQ from 08-Aug-2020 1800Z at the QSO Today Virtual Ham Radio Expo. See https://youtu.be/0qa3wMkMhsU

It isn't a very high quality video but this is what the ZOOM recording function produces so we're stuck with it. 

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com