Re: QDX and new Chromebooks

On Wed, Jun 8, 2022 at 09:32 AM, Paul Egan wrote:
There were a few references in the thread to Chromebooks but I think they tended to be discussing older machines running Gallium. I'm curious to know if WSJT-X will run efficiently including FT4, on a newer machine using Crostini?
Paul :

On newer Chromebooks all you need to do is to enable the built-in Linux environment to run Linux apps alongside Chrome and Android apps. There is no need to use Crostini.
The internal Linux is Debian-based and can easily be enabled:  https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-enable-linux-on-your-chromebook-and-why-you-should/

I am using a 2 year old Asus Chromebook with a 64-bit Intel processor (m3-8199Y @ 1.1GHz) and 4 GB of RAM and I have been operating my QDX using the Linux version of JTDX.
It runs very well. The only caveat is that each time you plug in the QDX you need to give permissions to Chrome OS to allow it share the USB ports with the Linux Environment (tick box in Advanced settings).
(See attached photo).

For ease of app installation I recommend sticking with an Intel-based Chromebook so you can just use the Linux package manager or directly install .deb files compiled for x86-64.

Michael VE3WMB

P.S. This was a fairly high-end Chromebook when purchased. For an older or budget Chromebook you might be better off installing Gallium OS.

P.P.S. It seems that in the attached photo I was actually using my FT-991A, but I do use the QDX with exactly this same setup.