Re: QCX+ Display issue #display

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

Mont KM6WT

We have to be careful to not give away too much info when talking
about why you cannot simply copy Hans code from a legitimate
QRPLabs chip to a generic avr328.  Otherwise we could hindering
his security method.

As it is, one could duplicate his PCB and write your own code to
totally replace that from QRP Labs.  This may be the answer for
those who want to have different modes inside their QCX rig.

Arv
_._

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 11:44 AM Mont Pierce KM6WT <de.km6wt@...> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 10:30 AM, Arv Evans wrote:
the software in
a QCX is not open source, and contains built-in IP (Intellectual Property)
This is true.

security.  This is why you get the "Use Original Software" message if
you try to copy his software to a non-QRP Labs processor chip.
This is not.  There's nothing special about the ATMEGA328p from QRP-Labs.

If you happen to blow up your QCX's 328 (as I did... don't ask).  The great QRP-Labs support team (i.e. Hans), if requested by private email, can provide to legitimate QL customers the files needed to program a new virgin ATMEGA328p for the QCXx.

Also, if one plunders while trying to upgrade their QCX 328 to a newer version of firmware, and end up with the dreaded "Use Original IC!" message, the above statement is also true.

73
km6wt