Re: Wide filter on QCX?

WA1EDJ

Thanks Johan.  I was thinking it was not as simple as just changing the menu frequencies and readjusting.  I have 2 QCX's I've widened the filter on and while they do appear to
have a flatter response, imaging on strong signals is apparent.  I did look at the ARRL article and that is the way to do it.  Much more complicated though.
Another thing I've noticed is both widened QCX's exhibit a spur at 1400 Hz that was not there  with the stock QCX filter.  It appears to be audio not rf as it will not move with tuning.
It's not avbig issue but I'd like to clean it up.

I also have  a QRPLabs RX with Polyphase network.  I'll take a look at that.  It may be a better solution.

Thanks!

Bob
WAEDJ

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 5:13 PM Johan Bodin <jbodin@...> wrote:
Hi Bob

There is no problem with widening the filter built around IC8/IC9 (on
QCX mini schematic) but the precision of the 90 degree I/Q phase shifter
(IC6/IC7) is too narrow to give a good opposite sideband suppression
over the entire SSB bandwidth. Widening the bandpass filter will work,
but, expect bad opposite sideband rejection outside the CW tone
passband. It will behave just like a simple direct conversion receiver
with (almost) equally strong response either side of zero beat except
around the CW center frequency.

At least 3+3 stages of all-pass filters are needed for good opposite
sideband suppression over a voice bandwidth. See for example
https://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/9301032.pdf.

Jim Tonne (forgot his callsign...) has written a nice program for
designing 90 degree I/Q phase shifters. Look for the program "QuadNet"
at http://www.tonnesoftware.com/

73/SM6LKM