Re: QLG3-enclosure, a work in progress #gps #enclosure

David Wilcox K8WPE

I still don’t get it.  Do you glue the card stock to another thicker piece of cardboard?  The whole panel is cardboard?  If so how do you get it strong enough to hold meters, speaker, etc? Or just crude holes cut into pc board and the card stock glued on to make it look nice?

Dave K8WPE

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Aug 31, 2021, at 1:37 PM, jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

They are all card stock, but Al did them, not me.

Jack, W8TEE

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 12:18:44 PM EDT, Harry Latterman via groups.io <harrylatterman@...> wrote:

If those are all card stock from panels... I am impressed...very impressed..

Harry K7ZOV

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 08:50:07 AM MST, jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum@...> wrote:

On Tuesday, August 31, 2021, 11:39:34 AM EDT, Al Holt <grovekid2@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 09:45 AM, jjpurdum wrote:

Now we print a cardstock template and do the LCD/display cutout with an X-Acto knife (make it just a smidgen smaller than the display).
Jack,
Not sure I understand what you've written. Is the entire top cover cardstock? Yes. All of these use the same technique:

<All Projects - Small.jpg>

A small amount of glue holds it in place
Is the glue holding the LCD/display in place? On this particular one, yes. On most, we use countersunk flat head screws.

and a thin coat of clear Krylon protects it.
I can picture that for protecting the card stock, but are you also spraying the display? No. We cover it with masking tape during the spray.

I may be totally off the mark on understanding the technique. Thanks!

--Al

<All Projects - Small.jpg>