Re: Build Time

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

Hans

My thoughts are that you should stick with producing kits and not stocking and
selling components.  If you stock a specific part and then make a change in your
kits that removes the need for that part, you are stuck with an obsolete part that
has no further use, and you can never recover your cost for that item.  Stocking
parts will require storage space.  Storage space costs money.  There is little
probability that all these stored components will be sold.  It seems to be a
lose-lose situation.

Digikey, etc. are in the individual component acquisition, storage, and sales
business.  They do a good job.  You should not be required to stock and sell
individual components just because some ham thinks you might be a few
cents cheaper than one of the big companies who have the advantage of
large scale purchasing.

I could be wrong.  You might see a way to undercut the big guys on price
and make a significant profit, but it does not look that way from my point
of view.

Arv
_._

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 2:39 PM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
Hi Lou

Producing kits is already hard enough and i had always thought I'd avoid being a component distributor too, which is 10x more difficult unless you're an enormous business like Digikey etc.

I also don't have tons of stock of all the parts we use and it would be expensive and complex to stock them just for the occasional potential sale. What I've done so far is stock some things which are custom parts not easily obtainable elsewhere. Not things like resistors which can be found anywhere.

Anyway I will give it some further thought, thanks for the suggestion.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Mon, Jun 14, 2021, 12:00 VK5EEE <vk5eee@...> wrote:
PS further to my last, I see components (a few) ARE available on site, would be nice to have them ALL available subject to order surcharge if nothing else ordered? E.g. for replacements or mods such as filter bandwidth, etc.

--
Love 30m and CW?
http://www.30cw.net