Re: #QCX+ D3 MOD - D3 replacement for LOW voltage drop

Jim Campbell

Some 60 years ago I was a young engineer and ham. Semiconductors were in a very basic form, diodes and NPN and PNP transistors. Our solutions back then tended to be very simple.

This afternoon I gave some thought to to the problem of voltage drop due to an inline diode. Why can't we get a small SPST relay and put a diode in series with the coil. Then wire the +12 volts through the SPST contacts. If the polarity of the input was correct the relay would pick and the full 12 volts would be applied to the radio. What am I missing?

73,

Jim Campbell
W4BQP since 1953