Re: Iambic CW?

Hans Summers

I squeeze too. I'd always been a straight key op and was scared of trying to use a paddle. But I had this nice Palm Radio pico paddle staring at me for several years, unused. Eventually just over a year ago, I started using it. The conversion straight -> paddle wasn't a hard skill to learn and I wished I'd done it years earlier!

It was natural to me to squeeze (proper Iambic). I'd be surprised if the number of ops iambic keying is quite as low as that (1%).

I've heard an op who used a paddle but not iambically, called a "slapper". I suspect this terminology wasn't invented by my fellow Brits due to the obvious ambiguity that could arise.

I still like the traditional straight key too but I can see that paddle keying would be less tiring and would allow accurate faster operation (if i was able to copy faster!).

73 Hans G0UPL

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021, 07:26 Gary Bernard via groups.io <garybernard2=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I learned many years ago to use Iambic and I wouldn’t change. And yes I squeeze. That’s the point of Iambic. Gary , W0CKI since 1954

On Feb 18, 2021, at 7:21 PM, ke9uw <c-hawley@...> wrote:

I mentioned that I mess up often when trying to relearn sending iambic CW. More than I remember messing up. My friend, a CW operator remarked that not one CW op in a hundred send iambic. Quit that and just send alternating your thumb and finger.
So what say you...do you squeeze the paddles or tap dit and dah?