Re: A word of advice

howard winwood G4GPF

On 24 Jan 2021, at 07:35, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

The mini has become an exception because of faulty ICs and bad pre-soldering

I am sorry but I have to take issue with you on that statement.
Prove to me that you can say there are fault IC’s and bad soldering.
You are painting ALL the QCX mini kits with the same brush, when many hundreds of these kits have been built and working .
To put things into perspective, go through the forums posts and COUNT how many have had such problems and you will find that in fact it is a very low number.
The shear amount of mail to this group does NOT reflect any real problems, in fact most of the problems are user based and NOT the fault of QRPLabs.
To give an instance, the voltage regulator chip may not have been the best choice, but there are may hundreds of working kits that do not have a problem.
Having read many posts on this problem, I would put it down to trying to squeeze as much power out of the mini as possible by raising the input voltage to levels that put it under considerable strain.
If people were to leave the input voltage at 12 volt and just accept the output at 3 to 5 watts there should be no problem.
What benefit does squeezing 7w out give you anyway?
In terms of S meter reading you would not be able to tell the difference, so why put the mini under such duress just to say “mines bigger than yours”?