Re: QCX Mini - Failure of AMS1117 on connection of GLG-1

N3MNT

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 10:49 PM, Mike Easterbrook wrote:
Yes - I never had problems with hot plugging the QLG with any of my 3 "original" QCX builds so this was an unfortunate surprise.
Mike 9M2LXM

Not an unfortunate surprise, but rather a consequence of the demand to "make it smaller".  The voltage regulator used in the original QCX was much more tolerant to a quick short however the smaller one used in the mini does not have the same tolerance.  This is similar to the issue we had when solid state amplifiers replaced tube amps.  By nature tube amps had considerable tolerance to mis-tuned finals that did not exist with SS amps.