Re: QCX Challenge poll #poll-notice

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

There is and probably will be for a long time to come some ambiguity. Context can be our friend. Meanwhile I would point out that contesting and non contest 'operating events' have up to three categories that they specify in their rules. A rule may state that QRP is 5 watts or less. Medium power is between 5 and 100 watts. High power is more than 100 watts. If it is not stated in the rules then it isn't a *rule*. But it seems to always be well defined. When some brain-dead moron like me (regards up to 100 watts as QRP) enters a conetest or 'event' in the QRP class then we pay attention to keep power levels down to 5 watts or less. That is the best you will get from me.

Posters on this and some other lists may have bibles that say QRP is always 5 watts or less. So that is what it probably means here. In the wider universe - probably not.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more

On 11/6/20 11:28 AM, Shane Justice wrote:
I'm not trying to pile on here, but ever since I can remember hearing the term QRP, as applied to power limitation for contests or challenging operating conditions, it has meant 5 Watts or less. While the Q-signal sent alone is either a statement of ones' power level (I AM QRP), or a request or demand (Turn YOUR Power Down), depending upon context. A QRP? Signal means Are You Operating QRP?- a question for the distant operator, so the ham on the near end knows how to interpret the received signal strength and quality, and/or band conditions.
QRO, is either a declaration (I AM at full power), or a request/demand (increase your power)- the QSB/QRN/QRM is so bad that the distant end's transmission is difficult to obtain reliable copy at the receiving end.
QRO? Q-signal is queryng the distant station as to their power output- Are you at full power?
I've been a ham since about 1984, and when I knew QRP as a power level (5W or less), was probably 1986, when I made a 6m contact from AZ to HI with 5W from a mountaintop during Field Day that year, using a Squalo (Square Halo) antenna on a 10 foot pipe I steadied with my arm. One of the experienced hams there exclaimed "You just made a QRP contact with Hawaii!!!" Following my quizzical look, he explained QRP as 5 Watts or less power output.
SO, I don't know exactly when 5 Watts became the standard power level to be referred to as QRP, but it at least goes back sometime before then. I am sure there should be a date in the literature regarding that power level in one or more of the ham organizations- ARRL, RSGB, etc. Now off to Google to see what might be found there...
73,
Shane
KE7TR

On Nov 5, 2020 at 06:28, N3MNT <bob@hogbytes.com <mailto:bob@hogbytes.com>> wrote:

Voted, but think we should set a limit for the amp power.