Re: QCX Challenge poll #poll-notice

Shane Justice <justshane@...>

I'm not trying to pile on here, but ever since I can remember hearing the term QRP, as applied to power limitation for contests or challenging operating conditions, it has meant 5 Watts or less. While the Q-signal sent alone is either a statement of ones' power level (I AM QRP), or a request or demand (Turn YOUR Power Down), depending upon context. A QRP? Signal means Are You Operating QRP?- a question for the distant operator, so the ham on the near end knows how to interpret the received signal strength and quality, and/or band conditions.

QRO, is either a declaration (I AM at full power), or a request/demand (increase your power)- the QSB/QRN/QRM is so bad that the distant end's transmission is difficult to obtain reliable copy at the receiving end.

QRO? Q-signal is queryng the distant station as to their power output- Are you at full power?

I've been a ham since about 1984, and when I knew QRP as a power level (5W or less), was probably 1986, when I made a 6m contact from AZ to HI with 5W from a mountaintop during Field Day that year, using a Squalo (Square Halo) antenna on a 10 foot pipe I steadied with my arm. One of the experienced hams there exclaimed "You just made a QRP contact with Hawaii!!!" Following my quizzical look, he explained QRP as 5 Watts or less power output.

SO, I don't know exactly when 5 Watts became the standard power level to be referred to as QRP, but it at least goes back sometime before then. I am sure there should be a date in the literature regarding that power level in one or more of the ham organizations- ARRL, RSGB, etc. Now off to Google to see what might be found there...

73,
Shane
KE7TR

On Nov 5, 2020 at 06:28, N3MNT <bob@...> wrote:

Voted, but think we should set a limit for the amp power.