Re: QCX Challenge poll #poll-notice

VE3VXO

I like your sense of humour Arv.  I am tempted to use this psych on some of these stations to the south of me I hear at night on 75m hitting my needle with +40dB over.  You have given me a reason to dig out my microphone.  " Is that somebody down in the mud there? Buddy I can barely hear you can you turn up you mic gain?  Do you have an amp you could turn on?"

---------- Original Message ----------
From: Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>
Date: November 5, 2020 at 5:02 PM

Jim

My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, even though attempts at on-line
humor usually fail.

It is usually interesting to find an obviously QRO station operating in a QRP area
and send "QRO?" (can you increase power). After a couple of requests for more
power they usually QSY. 8-)

Yes, I am a QRP bigot. Like UNIX and Linux code, less is more!

Arv
_._

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 12:34 PM Jim Morgan < W4QE@...> wrote:

Hi Arv & all,

Don't worry about a technical definition for "QRP" and "QRO" with respect to transmit watts or ERP. As you point out, it's relative - what is QRO to one operator may be QRP to another.

The origin comes from the early Q-signals: QRP ? == "Can you reduce power ?" (or in the affirmative: QRP == "Please reduce your power"). Likewise, QRO ? means "Can you increase power ?"

I don't think that people started referring to low-power transmitters as "QRP rigs" until maybe the time of the Heathkit HW-7/HW-8. It was also around then that homebrewers started building small low-power rigs.

Luc ON7DQ/KF0CR had a good response - "QRP" has generally come to mean a transmit power of around 5 watts, more or less. I don't think anyone is picky about whether this refers to input power, output power or ERP. I don't think there is a convention for "QRO" in terms of watts. With respect to your QCX, the ham running a commercial rig with a power around 100W would be QRO, but from his perspective, someone would probably need to run a kilowatt to be QRO.

Just my humble opinion!

Have fun & 73,

Jim W4QE

On 11/5/2020 12:31 PM, Arv Evans wrote:
Bill

For some 50 KW would be QRP. For others anything above 50 MW would be QRO.
Seems that the difference between QRP and QRO is so poorly defined that it could
be almost anything.

Is QRP actually ERP (effective radiated power) or power into the final amplifier?
I did a Google search for "QRP versus QRO" and now am really confused.

Arv
_._

On Thu, Nov 5, 2020 at 10:14 AM Bill Cromwell < wrcromwell@...> wrote:
Hi,

So the conversation is down to what power level is 'reasonable'. I agree
that around about 50 watts seems reasonable. I doubt anybody with a five
watt rig feels despoiled just because there are other amateurs on the
air with a kilowatt. I never felt that way when I used a two-watt radio.
Scoring should be less for use of more than five watts and a lot less
for 100 watts (or more).

In my experience the really high power licensees won't 'bother'
themselves listening for weaker signals and therefore won't bother about
working the QCX events.

Of course, it is a "QCX Challenge" so maybe refuse contacts with anybody
else regardless of power level. I do have some QRP Labs bits here - but
not a QCX.

73,

Bill KU8H

bark less - wag more