Re: QCX mini: RF output BNC or SMA #poll-notice

Arv Evans

Maybe 450 ohm ladder line would be even more efficient.
The Problem with that is the QCX-mini is narrower than the ladder line.

Arv
_._

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 1:17 PM The Crunchbird <pulsedevil@...> wrote:
There is a price to pay for the lightweight RG174 cable and that is in the power that your antenna receives. For a 20 meter length of RG174 the loss is 1.366dB so for 5 Watts output from your transmitter, the antenna will receive only 3.65 Watts. Compare this to RG58 where the loss for the same length is 0.611dB and 4.344 Watts will be delivered to the antenna.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 5:30 AM <namerati@...> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 07, 2020 at 10:17:14PM +0000, Graham, VE3GTC wrote:
>This is has been an interesting discussion.
>
>Besides SMA and BNC, the TNC and RCA connector has been mentioned but in
>reality there are many more good choices.
>
>For example, the FME connector ( FME - For Mobile Equipment ), good to
>several GHz, PCB mount, bulkhead mount, size not too much bigger than RG-58
>cable, and not very expensive.

That's also an option, though the MCX PCB mount jacks that I have share
the same footprint as SMA PCB mount jacks, so in that case users would
have an option of either one. I don't know if that's true for FME, which
is just obscure enough that my local supplier doesn't carry FME PCB
mount jacks.

Additionally, FME connectors look to be for RG58/59 cable, and as this
is a *mini* and *ultra-portable* transceiver I would probably end up
using RG174.

No sense in carrying 300 grams worth of cable when 30 grams will do!

>There is also the mini UHF connector, also good to several GHz, PCB mount,
>bulkhead mount,.

Nice but, again, obscure enough that my "supplier of reference" doesn't
carry much along those lines.

SMA and MCX seem widely available (not to mention RCA...) -- if we are
going for obscure connectors then we might as well add APC3.5
(SMA-compatible but robust) or Lemo 00 NIM-CAMAC (tiny and super-robust,
as well as super-expensive) to the mix...