Re: QCX mini: RF output BNC or SMA #poll-notice

namerati@...

On Fri, Aug 07, 2020 at 10:17:14PM +0000, Graham, VE3GTC wrote:
This is has been an interesting discussion.

Besides SMA and BNC, the TNC and RCA connector has been mentioned but in
reality there are many more good choices.

For example, the FME connector ( FME - For Mobile Equipment ), good to
several GHz, PCB mount, bulkhead mount, size not too much bigger than RG-58
cable, and not very expensive.
That's also an option, though the MCX PCB mount jacks that I have share the same footprint as SMA PCB mount jacks, so in that case users would have an option of either one. I don't know if that's true for FME, which is just obscure enough that my local supplier doesn't carry FME PCB mount jacks.

Additionally, FME connectors look to be for RG58/59 cable, and as this is a *mini* and *ultra-portable* transceiver I would probably end up using RG174.

No sense in carrying 300 grams worth of cable when 30 grams will do!

There is also the mini UHF connector, also good to several GHz, PCB mount,
bulkhead mount,.
Nice but, again, obscure enough that my "supplier of reference" doesn't carry much along those lines.

SMA and MCX seem widely available (not to mention RCA...) -- if we are going for obscure connectors then we might as well add APC3.5 (SMA-compatible but robust) or Lemo 00 NIM-CAMAC (tiny and super-robust, as well as super-expensive) to the mix...