Re: QCX mini: RF output BNC or SMA #poll-notice

namerati@...

On Thu, Aug 06, 2020 at 01:54:24PM +0000, Graham, VE3GTC wrote:
On equipment that has SMA connectors, I often use a SMA to BNC adapter /
converter such as this:

[image: image.png]

I place a washer between the adapter and the equipment that allows the
adapter to be screwed down securely without any space between the
equipement and the adapter in order to provide security and strain relief (
think of Archimedes again ).
In my experience, it's much better to use a short SMA to BNC pigtail (out of high quality micro coax) if there is going to be any strain at all (and I do mean at all) on the BNC connector.

This counts double for field operations!

The long-distance ultra-light trekking guru Ray Jardine was once asked how he was able to take his trademark homemade backpack (made of gossamer-thin ripstop nylon) on a trail for months at a time, while others were using heavy Cordura backpacks for the same purpose.

His answer? "I... Am... Careful!"

Where others would drop their packs on any old spot of ground, he would carefully lower his after verifying there weren't any sharp rocks, etc.

The result is that he and his wife would carry 8kg of weight each for a two month trip, where most people were lucky to get under 30kg. And every extra gram matters if you have to carry it 4000km!

But, each to their own. Perhaps Hans should switch to an N connector for the QCX+, like the NanoVNA V2 folks did for the extra-large-screen model...