Re: QCX mini: RF output BNC or SMA #poll-notice

Giuseppe Marullo

Maybe something like these are a little better/sturdier:

https://www.knjn.com/ShopFlashyWidyAccessories.html (don't know Jean source tough)

Definitely SMA are not the best if you need many connect/disconnect cycles. They are not even nice to handle compared to BNC, let's admit it, size ok but why suffer?

They change characteristics based on the torque applied (yes, both ways, more or less torque do both affect the measure), I have a MiniVNA Pro and it is nasty when performing calibration, you just need the exact range of torque else the graph will be funny. Not nice.

I ended up using a SMA saver(m/f) on each connector to limit the wear (SMAs are a PITA to substitute on the MiniVNA),sadly it won't do much on the torque issue.

Giuseppe Marullo
IW2JWW - JN45RQ

On 8/6/2020 4:38 PM, Shirley Dulcey KE1L wrote:
BNC connectors without the plastic housing exist. I have a mini oscilloscope, a DSO138, that has one.

Here are links to examples:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0731000105/WM5524-ND/1465146
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/5414373-1/A32274-ND/811172

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:26 AM Kees T <windy10605@... <mailto:windy10605@...>> wrote:

I would say prefer board mount BNC .....but find one which does
not have the plastic housing (I believe they have those). If you
are really an industrious builder with all 5 fingers on each hand,
cut the plastic off and solder the two locator pins to the bare
BNC barrel for mechanical rigidity. they are not connected to
anything anyway on the ones I have dissected. There is also the
"locate off board" option ....not preferred.

Having the two footprints on top of each other (BNC/SMA) would
allow the option.

73 Kees K5BCQ