Re: QCX mini: RF output BNC or SMA #poll-notice

jjpurdum

Regardless of the connector used, I would likely not mount it on the PCB even if the board provides for it. Off-board mounting, to me, gives me more flexibility in the case I might use. My problem is that I tend to "snag" things, often breaking them off. I originally voted for the SMA for that reason, but when I started reading about the SMA problems that some have, I changed my vote. I can put the connector off board, too, and will factor that into my nexts case. For my next QCX case, I am 3D printing a case with an "recessed box" in it. The box will be open by removing a two-screw panel that covers the box. On the front will be the (alas, discontinued) mini paddle that QRPGuys used to sell:

Inline image
I plan to mold brass nuts into the case front and will use brass thumb screws to attach the dit paddles to the circuit inside. A molded center contact point is the ground. When I'm done operating, I'll detach the paddle and store it with the screws in the "recessed box". That way, no heavy set of paddles to drag along and I can't snap them off when packing it for travel. All this is easier for me if the connectors are "off board".

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, August 6, 2020, 10:59:09 AM EDT, Al Holt <grovekid2@...> wrote:

I admit I voted for SMA, mainly on the basis of my experience with those threaded plastic BNC connectors, UGH!
I'm more in favor of a bulkhead mounted connector with a jumper to the board. If the the mini design is going to hold up out in the field, it's better not to depend on a board mounted connector, BNC or SMA.

With SMA connectors able to work into the GHz range, it's no wonder a manufacturer would want to limit the number of reconnections to stay in spec.

--Al
WD4AH