Re: QCX mini: RF output BNC or SMA #poll-notice

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

I have a nanoVNA with SMA fittings. The early deterioration most likely affects their performance in the microwaves. I use mine at HF and may use it some day a time or two on two meters but probably not. I take reasonable care to not wear or damage the connectors soldered into the unit and I don't expect a lot of trouble from them.

For my radios I like the BNC and UHF (PL-259) connectors. I have used RCA, SMC, C, and N connectors.

bark less - wag more

On 8/6/20 10:59 AM, Al Holt wrote:
I admit I voted for SMA, mainly on the basis of my experience with those threaded plastic BNC connectors, UGH!
I'm more in favor of a bulkhead mounted connector with a jumper to the board. If the the mini design is going to hold up out in the field, it's better not to depend on a board mounted connector, BNC or SMA.
With SMA connectors able to work into the GHz range, it's no wonder a manufacturer would want to limit the number of reconnections to stay in spec.
--Al
WD4AH