Re: Help needed to update QCX firmware #qcx #firmware

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

Your QCX is not communicating with the programmer. The device signature of 0xffffff shows that. There are a few possible reasons, the most likely being that you are using the wrong serial port.

The EEPROM in an original QRP Labs processor for the QCX has a special signature that the firmware detects. It's a simple form of copy protection to deter people from making QCX clones. You do not need an .EEP file to update the firmware in an original chip.

You would need the .EEP file to program a blank ATMega328P (one that does not contain QCX firmware), Hans has provided it to people who need it because they accidentally erased the signature in their original processor. The reason you should read back the flags from the chip before programming is to make sure they are correct; an incorrect flag setting can erase the EEPROM contents.

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 4:44 PM Podolsky A <w8du@...> wrote:
Alan:
Thank you for your patience with me. Please excuse my ignorance, but how to I "check the fuses" and how will I know if they are correct or not?
Also, do I assume correctly that I do not need an eep file for the QCX?
73 de Arnie W8DU