Re: Change Request.

DL2ARL

Yess! it is senseless, but I do this since I came from school and I still make a living from it: doing dumb *CHANGE REQUESTS nobody cares about (I am qrl wise in a testing environment).

It is senseless, but with the disclaimer: "to whom it might concern" this might have an impact of some kind.

With the otherwise splendid qcx+ manual, qrp-labs does S P O I L it's customers by writing the assembly instructs  as such, as the kit-builders can smoothly switch their brains off and solder on, page for page, component for component w/o the need of a single neuronal balance of their own: soldering by numbers. If there is one weird resistor, one single one, there's a special page for it, showing you not only where but even how to plant it and from which side to solder it down w/o burning your fingers.

So far so good. Very good indeed!

But for me, qrp is a state of the mind and the mind reaches deep into my wallet. I do not have a color printer, do not envy one and I would probably catch some avaricious cough if I would have to go to a copy shop and let the  manual get printed there. No kidding, you can call me names, but I stay put: it's black&white for me and if you want me to be mean, I take B&W  in two separate glasses, with ice, stirred please, no shake... and an olive. Or was that a vermouth?: who cares: I was speaking about the qcx+ RTFmanual print-out.

So far so good: it stays personal.

The weird thing about the new qcx+ manual compared to the old, to ALL old qrp-labs manuals, is the fact, that, printed B&W, there is no way to distinguish between the B&W correspondent "colour" (or shade of gray) of what was supposed to be RED (meaning THE component the story is about on the actual page) and the rest of the gray shaded components on the board that were bespoken somewhen ahead or the ones that will be named hereafter.

This way, for me, I have the choice between the devil and beelzebub. Either do I take it the hard way and identify the components by myself using the schematics just as I would do with a kit not sporting  to a HeathKitLevel manual, or ...

well, I must confess, I am so penny wise, I do not own a PC in my "lab" where the soldering iron smokes. The normal way would probably be to solder the components in front of some fancy tablet I can wipe with my fingers across. But I have none, not in my soldering shack. This remains my own, self determined miserly condition.

In this final scenario, having no color display whatever in the soldering shack does lead to a loooong session spent alongside of the PC the computer room upstairs (a comfort issue)  with a red pencil in my hand drawing circles around the components that should be red on the printout although they are as gray as can be, compared to those that should be gray for true.

That's my seamless, needlessly senseless story: to whom it might concern. I'm half'way down with the red pencil trough the B&W print-out I sip out of two separate glasses with ice please, stirred, no shake, so that it's of no concern for me if it will concern some other body. With an olive please; or was that for a vermouth?

The manual is good as it is. It is almost too perfect: it is ME that I have a problem with my avariciously determined color qrp blindness. It remains a state of the mind. And for some old-fashioned reason of mine, I love, I persist in liking working after paper print-outs, not after digital displays. The ones you can draw nasty things upon; with a pencil and colofonium fat fingers. Try this with a mouse...!"§$%&//()=?\?\

Yours friendly, Razvan DL2ARL.