OT: baited breath versus bated breath

Brad Thompson

Hello--

<Puts on editor's aluminum-foil  eyeshade>

Let's clear this up for once and for all.

That's "bated" as in "abated", to lessen the force of, or to hold in as in "bated breath".

"Baited breath" would apply to your cat who ate cheese and then breathed into a mouse hole.

...And while I'm on a rant, consider the "foreword"-- a small section of text that's placed in front of the main
body of text-- literally, a" word before". I've encountered variations including "fourword", "foreward", "forward"
and "for ward"-- maybe the latter was meant to dedicate the book to Ward.

73--

Brad  AA1IP

--
Sent from Postbox