QCX firmware upgrade from 1.00g to 1.05.

João Cunha Lopes

Hi all.

I have been trying to upgrade my QCX firmware from 1.00g to 1.05.
Due to the world wide pandemic there are huge delays in mail, so I opted to buy a couple of ATMEGA328 locally.
Chips are branded ATMEL and they are "ATMEGAS328P U". Chip ID, when read by my programming software, is (hex) 1E950F.
I have read that this may be a problem when using avrdude:

avrdude.exe: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude.exe: Expected signature for ATmega644P is 1E 96 0A
Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

I'm using an old generic programmer (GQ-4X) with ISP interface to the chip. For my programmer the 1E950F is not a problem and it can work fine with this chip.
I've loaded firmware 1.05 into the "ATMEGAS328P U" and all when well.
When I tried the chip on the QCX all I got was a line with "##########################". The radio does not boot.
I checked the programming again and the firmware is in the chip.

There are a couple more things that I would like to try before giving up on this.
Fuses?

My programmer allows me to set the following:

Also, I have read that:

"There are a total of 19 fuse bits that are used in the ATmega328P, and they are separated into three different fuse bytes. Three of the fuse bits are contained in the "Extended Fuse Byte", eight are contained in the "Fuse High Byte," and eight more are contained in the "Fuse Low Byte".

From the above image its seems that I can set each and every fuse.
Can someone please point me in the right direction regarding the correct fuse setup?

Also I have noticed the OSC calibration bytes, 4MHz, 8MHz. How important is ths?

Anyway, If someone could point me to all the correct fuse values I would appreciate it.
Thank you.

John, CT2HME