Re: How about an ultra-portable "QCX mini" version? #qcx

K2DB Paul Mackanos

I enjoy all of Hans kits, if he comes out with a SMD model, well there goes some more of my stimulus check 😎
Paul K2DB

On Thu, Jun 4, 2020 at 9:10 AM Dave <VE3GSO@...> wrote:
I could not agree more!  I admit happily that Hans has a difficult prospect of keeping everyone happy all the time, and perhaps it is unrealistic to hope for a completely bare board and a few baggies of SMD.

I have put on the fine pitched SSD chips and others, and once you lose your fear of lead shorting solder blobs (liquid flux and fine solder wick are your friend) the sheer challenge well met is a total source of pride.

Somewhere here I have a roll of 100n 50V SMD caps I would gladly contribute to the cause.

Dave

On Jun 4, 2020, at 08:28, jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Alan:

Strongly agree. I'm 2 years younger than dirt and built my first Novice station in 1954 using 2 "valves" for the transmitter. Gradually, I worked up to transistors, then IC's, and finally trying SMD's. While I've probably "tiddlywinked" enough SMD parts onto the floor or in near-earth orbit to build multiple QRP rigs, the fear was far worse than the fact. I have ants in my house bigger than an Si5351, but can still solder one in place. A good magnifying headset is a must for me, and I find "bent" tweezers:

<1591273463820blob.jpg>

very useful for holding SMD's in place while soldering. To encourage others, I gave a presentation to my club on soldering SMD parts using a "practice kit" available online (eBay 192343157603) for about $2.

<1591273599731blob.jpg>
Once you've done a few SMD's, you actually enjoy using them.

Jack, W8TEE

On Thursday, June 4, 2020, 7:31:40 AM EDT, Alan G4ZFQ <alan4alan@...> wrote:

  Steve
> I vote for an SMD version with the chips pre-assembled.  Here is my
> thought process:

Here is my  thought:

SMD is not difficult although a beginner might have problems with the
Si5351 so I guess that would have to be fitted.
In case of problems during use it would be good if the owner had some
experience of assembly.
A fair few already will have built a QCX and be familiar with the circuitry.

Over 10 years ago I wanted a Softrock, the only way was to get into SMD,
it was a lot easier than I feared and now I use it for little projects
in favour of wired components.

73 Alan G4ZFQ

<1591273463820blob.jpg>
<1591273599731blob.jpg>