Re: Off topic:

jjpurdum

Jim:

Talk about gov't delays. When I lived in Indiana, the Legislature raised the minimum property tax rate, but also the assessed value rate. My property taxes went from $1167/yr to $4223/yr overnight!  There was literally a revolution throughout the state. In Marion country, voters threw out every Councilman who supported the increase--18 out of 23! The Legislature saw the error of their ways and said that, if voters would support a 0.5% increase in the sale tax, they would roll back the property tax changes. Voters said ok.

It took them 16 days to approved and implement the higher sales tax rate, and 3 years to change the property tax rates. Lesson learned: If you accept an increase in one for a reduction in the other, they both go into effect on the same day.

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, May 29, 2020, 11:09:37 AM EDT, Jim Manley <jim.manley@...> wrote:

Hi Ted and Hans,

I'm so glad you provided that glimpse of Akihabara (especially the photos), as my post had already grown far too long. Family and friends have diagnosed themselves as suffering from my 200 wpm "diarrhea of the fingertips"!

Of course, when I said that I lived on the base at Kamiseya, I lied.  I was on a 2-2-2-80 shift schedule that two day watches 7 AM - 3 PM, eight hours off (the dreaded double-back), two graveyard watches 11 PM - 7 AM, eight hours off, two evening watches 3 PM - 11 PM, and then 80 hours off.  The first 24 hours were spent sleeping, and the.remainder I lived at ... Akihabara!

The yen-dollar exchange rate was as high as 270:1, but it got as low as 165:1, while I was there, which is now a dream lost to time, with the current rate around 108:1.  Our cost-of-living allowance changed to theoretically keep our purchasing power constant, but for some reason, whenever the rate went down, it took months to be reflected in our pay, but the moment it went up, BAM, our pay was reduced!

Ah, to dream, perchance to sleep ...

Jim  KJ7JHE
Lame Deer Montana High School Amateur Radio Club  KJ7JKU

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 1:36 AM Ted 2E0THH <qrp@...> wrote:

Fabulous insight Jim

My first visit was only back in the '80s but I’ve been there nearly every year since, sometimes more. I worked in music and more specifically flew one of those huge mixing consoles (SSL) that was mandatory in every recording studio back then. Like any complex bit of kit it had a huge manual but there were many ways to make it work for you that weren't written in there.

I honestly will never forget the look of horror of the Japanese assistant techs  as I "bent" the rules of operation, there was much manual page fumbling and protest but I managed to forge on citing translation difficulties.

That first session was a long project, 6 weeks I think so we got to know each other very well. By then I was reasonably world travelled but Tokyo was a utter culture shock. All of the Japanese involved in that project were so unbelievably hospitable and generous, way beyond anything I had ever known and it is a testament to the trust we built that I still remain friends with most from that first visit. Music still takes me back there most years but alas not this one for obvious reasons.

Those guys introduced me to a district of Tokyo around Akihabara Station in the Chiyoda ward of Tokyo. There is nothing you can do to prepare yourself for the onslaught of the visual and audio cacophony that awaits; there are certainly no words I can write here that will describe it but it has become a Mecca for me and I have made the pilgrimage on almost every visit.

A visit here should be on every ham's bucket list, for underneath the railway arches by the station there is a labyrinth of corridors which hosts a mini market of EVERYTHING electronic. The pitches are arranged along one wall and are about 2 metres wide with the trader lurking in the shadows behind trays and trays of beautifully arranged components, the more successful have bigger areas but it is the presentation of the components on offer that is so breathtaking. If you have any old '60s radio that has lost a foot, you will find it here, 813 tetrode with a thoriated tungsten filament, no problem. Really they have everything, there was even an HRO there last November.

I know of one other regular poster on this forum that knows this area rather well

73s Ted
2E0THH