Re: QCX+ accessory experimenter's board?

Arv Evans <arvid.evans@...>

Hans

You cannot please everybody....how many plated thru holes versus how many SMT pads?
How many free-form pads or holes?

I can see this being a way to add an internal Dummy Load and Stockton style
SWR/Wattmeter bridge.  Add a switch for connection to the QCX internal DVM
and switches to select SWR v/s Power, and another switch to select FWD v/s
REF mode.  Of course this would then require compatible software for these
measurements.  What function to sacrifice so you have available room for the
new software?     Maybe this will require users to select which software load
they might want installed in their QCX when they order it...or socket the AVR
and allow users to switch processor chips as needed.

You will never please everybody!

Arv
_._

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 6:57 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:
Hi all

Seeking your opinion...

I have an idea to offer also an accessory to the QCX+, a dev board PCB that would be supplied with four 12mm nylon hex spacers and 8pcs 6mm M3 screws, so it would bolt in on top of the QCX+ board. With a selection of pin headers and connectors to allow you to connect to all the header points on the QCX+ board.

The rest of the board a matrix of copper lined, 0.9mm holes with solder pads.

The intention of the board: to let people develop their own QCX+ modifications, anything they want, on that upper deck board. Batteries? Filters? Audio amp? What do you imagine?

It seems an easy project to produce such a PCB in parallel with QCX+. I will have to price everything up but it should certainly be in single digit $ for this experimenter's accessory kit.

What do you think?