Re: Running One Watt on Purpose

Don VE3IDS

George
A couple other tidbits came to mind. I have worked the Russian Antarctica base and also the Russian airbase there both on QRP from here in Canada. That was fun! Also back in 1979 I built a"sardine sender" that was in QST. It ran about 1/2 watt on 80 and I had 15 states and three provinces confirmed with that little novelty rig. You will have alot of fun with QRP I am sure.
72 Don ve3ids

On Fri., May 15, 2020, 12:53 p.m. George Korper, <georgekorper@...> wrote:
Jack, I was looking for the shot in the arm. These comments are working me out of a rut.
I got nothing but time, so patience should be easier.

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 12:35 PM jjpurdum via groups.io <jjpurdum=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Skip:

I was almost inactive while I was working, but when I retired, I became more active. I had a GT550 xcvr running about 500W and,even with a crap antenna, making QSO's was pretty easy. Also, When I got my General in 1955 after operating as a CW-only Novice, I vowed "Never CW again!" and I pretty much stuck to that. However, I "discovered" QRP when I retired and started using low power CW...again! Don't know what it is about running a few watts and making contacts thousands of miles away that gives me so much pleasure, but I wish I could convey it to those who don't know or use CW. For the Been-there-done-that crowd, they should give QRP CW a shot...it's a real shot in the arm!

Jack, W8TEE

On Friday, May 15, 2020, 12:14:35 PM EDT, Skip Davis via groups.io <skipnc9o=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

George I have run at 2 watts out for years into a 40 meter dipole with TV twinlead feeder and loaded on other bands with a tuner and it worked great. As others have pointed out much of the time the other stations don’t know the difference. I achieved WAS and DXCC without trying hard and even made contacts during contests. Cracking pileups with a couple of watts is quite a thrill but Also having a comfortable QSO is rewarding too.

What operating at this power level will do for you is sharpen your operating skills. Just in the last year I acquired a high power amp (1kw) to use mostly for nets operating, and I’ve got to tell you after a week of using it with my wire antennas to make contacts it was point and shoot contact made in pileups. After a week the fun was gone, it became too easy.....so back to QRP or a lot lower power for me. I run about 20 watts CW so that is where the 50 watt amplifier comes into play. If the other station is struggling I will up my power otherwise I keep on going.
Have fun and be patient.

72/73
Skip Davis, NC9O