Re: Pre-wound Toroids

Tim and Janet

Well I suppose I am on the other side of this conversation.  I did find it funny.  When I read this I thought of my 3 kids not necessarily all kids.  No way would they want to wind toroids and I can hear them now finding excuses not to do it.  I agree it is a great way to introduce building projects but they must be willing participants.  My kids winding my toroids?  Now that is funny to me.

73
Tim
KB2MFS

On Sat, Apr 4, 2020 at 3:02 PM Don VE3IDS <ve3ids.don@...> wrote:
I'm with Arv and Colin as well. I don't see what's funny about kids learning to wind toroids and bring introduced to ham radio. The abundance of small affordable kits these days could help rekindle the old days of homebrew and heathkit at a much more affordable price point. Lots of kids have great fine motor skills, ie Lego robots builds and other science projects. I'm far from being a kid myself but I don't find toroids to be difficult. They make builds much easier these days to be able to make inductors and transformers of whatever values one might need with a few standardized parts. It used to be that you would have to try and find a specific choke or transformer and maybe special order it, now you can wind it up yourself. A decent magnifying glass or even a smartphone camera really helps older eyes.
72 Don ve3ids

On Sat., Apr. 4, 2020, 3:18 p.m. Colin Evans M1BUU, <colin.evans2@...> wrote:
I'm with Arv, I don't see what's funny.
Getting kids involved with making toroids is a good idea. Winding a toroid is a fulfilling process, you can see instantly whether you've done a good job or not.

The path has been beaten before.....
http://www.qrpme.com/docs/Toroid%20Tool.pdf

73, Colin
M1BUU