Re: the keying thump QCX

Hans Summers

Hi Brian

Yes, that's correct. 

I have produced 500 of the new 50W PA kit and 200 of the enclosures for it. Yes people are ordering but it's early days. I did build 3 of the kits myself, one per day for the last three days... one for 40m, one for 30m and one for 20m. I used those to produce the assembly instructions and validate them, as well as make the measurements for each band. 

I am pleased to report that all 50W PA three kits I built, had the correct complement of components, and all three worked perfectly first time. I also assembled one in an enclosure which also went perfectly. 

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 3:57 PM Brien Pepperdine <brianpepperdine@...> wrote:

Version is 1.00e.... which I knew was old and the intention of course was to order a new chip from QRPLabs... so I will do so forthwith. Probably get amp too at same time unless the amp orders are too stacked up.

From what I can see this was a fairly recent improvement though for sidetone? Nov 2019?

1.02 06.Nov.2019 - Eliminate the faint “Woodpecker” clicking when S-meter active, tuning or CW decoder updates
- Eliminate click at start end end of sidetone audio burst (that was due to sudden change in DC bias)

tnx

Brian VE3VAW

---------- Original Message ----------
Date: December 12, 2019 at 7:50 AM

Hi Brian

What is your firmware version? Version 1.02 improved things in this regard too.

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 3:48 PM Brien Pepperdine < brianpepperdine@...> wrote:

So, I did the mod on my 40m QCX a couple weeks ago.. replacing the original 10 uf electrolytic caps with the recommended 1 uf ceramic caps at C21 and C22 (IIRC).

Anyhow, though it is not what it was before, there still remains a bit of a thump on the keying. Is this the way it is...do others experience this?

I think I would find it fatiguing over time... in fact I did have a (rare) 45 minute rag-chew QSO last week - but not on the QCX.

Which is to say that if this was lessened to the tolerable level/removed then I would love to pair it up with the new 50 watt amp.

Anyhow, comments are welcome. I will admit I hear the same sort of thing on the Dave Benson DDS rigs from around 2002 or so.

Brian VE3VAW

Join QRPLabs@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.