Re: QCX 5W CW Transceiver Troubles Part III

Jim Mcilroy

Hi Joe

Congrats on getting some action out of your QCX

Before warming up a soldering iron I suggest you make sure it is not sitting on anything metallic nearby.

At my QTH I have taken to using lids from scrap box files which are thick cardboard but you may have a more elegant solution  :)

Use a battery to power the QCX. As long as you don't key it up a simple PP3 9V battery is probably good enough for a short while.

If you have a dummy load connect that to the antenna socket to be on the safe side.

See what you can hear then.

73

Jim

PS I've been to Ottawa Uni for a brief visit in the last century. Went to see one of the profs who was into precision timing. The name escapes me for now. A nice part of the world.

On 06/12/2019 18:25, joseph.corbin@... wrote:
Hello again all from Ottawa University!

The good news is: my partner, Will, and I were able to finally get our little radio to work well. We were able to send and receive signals this morning while testing it.

The bad news is: We attempted to move the radio to a different location in our building without making any other changes to the radio. But, when we powered it up at the new location, we only heard a loud, bee-like noise. We were unable to receive the simple signals being sent to us by our professor from within the same building. We checked and double-checked the settings on the radio itself. But we don't see or understand what the problem is. We then attempted to bring it back to the original location and try again. Unfortunately, we had the same constant, noisy tone that, quite frankly, sounds like a little sweat bee flying right into my ears (we used both headphones and speakers while testing). It's as if the radio is failing to filter out the noise properly. We are now wondering if there is a hardware problem that might be associated with this noisy tone.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, we are still quite new at this so we may need some help understanding the terminology and functionality associated with our little transceiver.

Thanks!

Joe
--

Joseph Corbin