Re: More paddles and keys ...

Ken KM4NFQ

Hello Eric,

Thanks for the link to the books.
https://wrsmithclocks.com/books

Now I understand why your Bug looks so good.
EricKE6US.png
W.R.Smith was a clockmaker. You have a very good influence.
Unlike you, I am not a big fan of filing and sanding. ;-D

I saw that he had a book about Sherline lathes.
That is about the size of my micro lathe.
I have a Taig micro lathe which I purchased many decades ago.

My very first drawing used round stock instead of rectangular blocks.
paddle.png
But I couldn't find enough brass round stock, so I switched to blocks.
That first design also had smooth brass rod for spring tension and gap adjustment.
I had planned to use a set screw for adjusting spring tension and contact point gap.
I ended up using 8-32 brass screws instead.
I had to tap the parts for 4-40 and 8-32 brass screws.
I only broke on 4-40 tap, while tapping holes for the finger pads.
Luckily, I was able to extract the broken piece from the hole, and tap it with a second tap.

Right now, my brass paddle is functional.
I doubt that it will ever be 'finished'. ;-D

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 4:47 PM Eric KE6US <eric.csuf@...> wrote:

Thanks, but I'd probably remove a couple fingers. I love to work with hand tools. I even enjoy filing and sanding. They're never a chore for me.

For those interested in homebrew keys, I recommend two books by W.R. Smith, W4PAL. "How to Restore Telegraph Keys" (restoration of a 1914 Vibroplex) and " How to Make a Vertical High Performance Telegraph Speed Key" (his vertical bug design).  I corresponded with the author several times before his death, and learned several valuable lessons. The books are still in print:

https://wrsmithclocks.com/books

Eric KE6US

On 11/15/2019 1:23 PM, Frank wrote:
Eric, I'd love to see what you could with a small lathe and mill !

 Frank  KB4VU
_