Re: More paddles and keys ...

Ken KM4NFQ

Eric, yours is a beautifully crafted key! Wow! I am very impressed.

Today I cut out some finger pads for my DIY Dual Lever Paddle.
I attached them to the levers with 4-40 pan head brass screws.
They are made from 1/8" thick model airplane plywood.
The insulation pads were cut from plastic mayonnaise jar lids.

1041.png
I think it has a "Steam Punk" feel to it. ;-D
It rests on 5/16" thick rubber feet.

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://github.com/muurtikaar/mega-morse-tutor

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 3:05 PM Eric KE6US <eric.csuf@...> wrote:

Very nice work, Ken. I'm also a minimalist when it comes to making keys. I made this left-handed bug about 3 years ago with a drill press, common hand tools and lots of sweat. The base is a piece of 3" copper bus bar an electrician friend gave me. The brass parts are round and bar brass stock from a local supplier. The knurled screws came from old keys and Ace Hardware. The spring steel spring for the dots is a piece of 0.010" feeler gauge. Silver contacts from an old relay. Lots of aesthetic compromises when dealing with simple tools as you well know, but it is a very satisfying key to use. As smooth as my Speed-X 520 which, unfortunately, is right handed.

Ordered a QCX this morning. Looking forward to using this key with it. Hope I don't have to wait for the slow boat from Turkey that is bringing my QLG1 to make the return trip to fetch my QCX.

Eric KE6US

On 11/11/2019 3:47 AM, Ken KM4NFQ wrote:
Thanks for you kind words David, K8WPE.
I started work on the DIY Dual Lever Paddle by drawing a couple of diagrams.

paddles01.png
paddles02.png