Re: OT: Linux

Clive Lorton

I’m running win7 for logging on my Mac mini using virtual box. No updates for win so it is running fast.  Sophos anti virus  runs very well.   Time machine also backs up my log book. If it catches a cold I can revert to a clean snapshot. I’m sure there’s a vulnerability somewhere but it’s easily overcome.

73 from Clive G8POC

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 at 19:52, Michael.2E0IHW via Groups.Io <blumu=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Many we are who face this dilemma.

Win7 - with protection software and no links
other than ham software : with backups, reasonably safe.

Win10 : with enervating, superfluous apps and updates :
probably safe-ish. With protection, probably best for
personal and banking - and for many ham implementations.

Linux : learning curve, but overall, once
mastered, probably the best future-proof choice.
Wine should bridge when needed.  I too would
welcome any hints and links for ham applications.

MAC : dunno. Others will advise.

Michael