Re: OT: Linux

Ken KM4NFQ

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 7:27 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi Ken

Xubuntu 18.04

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com
Hello Hans,

Excellent! I see that it is a Long Term Support release, so you are
walking in high cotton. Ubuntu is based on the Debian GNU/Linux
distro, which will always be Free!

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://github.com/muurtikaar/mega-morse-tutor

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019, 14:19 Ken KM4NFQ <@KM4NFQ> wrote:

Good on you, Hans!

I first installed a Slackware distribution of GNU/Linux on a 486DX2/80
in late 1995 from 100 3.5" floppy discs. :-D It took me five tries
over a period of three days to get it installed, but I was finally
rewarded with Joy. My other OS was MSDOS 6.2 and the MSWindows 3.1
shell that ran on top of it, running on a 486SX25. By late 1996 I was
using GNU/Linux as my primary OS. I was able to make the transition
fairly easily because I did not have a large investment in Microsoft
software. In fact, the GNU/Linux distributions provided me with more
software that I had ever had on a PC before. I have never looked back.

I was more of a DOS weenie than a MSWindows user, so the bash shell
Command Line was a real JOY to use, compared to the the MSDOS prompt.
Soon I was able to do everything that I had done on the MS PC, but
with GNU/Linux, and more. Compare MSDOS Batch commands with the bash
shell! Actually, there is no comparison.

Familiarity is the key. As I became more familiar with GNU/Linux, it
became easier to use. Much easier to use. The whole UNIX philosophy is
that each utility does one thing very well. And the output of one
utility can be piped as the input to another utility.

Congratulations on discovering GNU/Linux, and giving it a try! Best
wishes for success in all of your GNU/Linux projects. BTW, which
distribution of GNU/Linux are you using? (I use Debian GNU/Linux).

Regards,
Ken, KM4NFQ "Not Fully Qualified"
https://github.com/muurtikaar/mega-morse-tutor

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 4:48 AM Hans Summers <hans.summers@...> wrote:

Hi,

Topic change ;-)

I had been using Windows for ~25 years but earlier this year, switched to Linux and I have been very happy with it. I had bought a Win10 machine at Dayton in May 2017 and in less than 2 years it had got slower and slower and there were lots of problems - even though it was a top spec machine. On Linux everything went blindingly fast.

A few days ago I bought a new mouse, 4000 DPI gaming mouse (though I don't game)... it moved so slowly across the screen compared to my old mouse. Then I discovered the Settings->Mouse window sliders don't have any effect on the mouse sensitivity. A bug! Google confirmed other people also experienced it.

A friend of mine summed it up nicely... on Windows there are bugs and issues, but there is nobody to talk to and no hope of fixing them. Linux has bugs and issues too, but at least you have a way to fix them. After a bit of googling I was able to identify the mouse device and set up the "coordination transformation matrix" to apply a gain of 5, to get the new mouse behaving like the old one. And created a little script which I put in the Startup to autorun on login. So all is well :-)

73 Hans G0UPL
http://qrp-labs.com

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:39 AM <jmh6@...> wrote:

Hi Andy :),

So True!!

I wonder who will be the first to get old cell phones running with real
linux?

The war between 'secure' boot and open source!

Just gotta boot the chip and get USB running with some dist. Opening up
the rest of the phone or laptop should be cake :).

Lots of fun!!

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io wrote:

Let's add..

Fldigi for rtty, psk31 etc etc
QSSTV
WSJTX for WSPR, FT4, FT8 etc etc
VOACAP propagation odelling
XNEC antenna modelling
PA2OHH oscope
QRSS grabber software
Utils to support ATMEGA chips (QRP Labs)
Every goddamn file downloader and converter known to mankind, from PC Linux to Raspberry Pi's.
Ability to run ANY MSDOS, PCDOS etc program

I'm getting bored with writing about all these advantages ;-)

- Andy -

Boot it from an sd card.
Boot it from a usb stick
Steal a HD and stuff it in any other PC and it boots, runs, and has your software on it.
Boot from an external HD.
No licence
Share it with anyone
Make your own versions
No driver problems
No privacy issues
1000's more geek utils
Free Office software
Choice of desktops and window managers
Source code available, customise as you wish
Distribute copies of originals or your own freely
98% of the worlds super computers run Linux (fact)
Linux has just about everything Windows has, and can run a lot of Windows apps right down to MSDOS / BBC Basic stuff.
Can update with no reboots.
Can update, write a dvd, surf the web and do a backup up without crashing.
Uses less memory than anything Windows
Does not hammer the hard disk for swap file like Windows
No virus checkers needed. (Only virus checkers are for WINDOWS apps on a Linux drive !!!!) Linux virus checkers don't exist, no need.
Can run and install old 16/32 bit apps for Windows.
Every single board PC like Acer tinker boards, Raspberry Pi's etc support Linux as a main OS, as well as derivative motherboards.
You can run Linux on any PC.
98% of worlds super computers run it.
Very low RAM usage.
Recognised by most printer manufacturers and graphics providers.
Even gamers on Second Life are supported.
Does not require reconfiguration or licensing problems if you change hardware
Supports test mode web browsers, as well as normal Firefox, Chrome etc (yeah text mode)
No firewall backdoors. Firewalls are absolute !
No forced updates.
Selective updates with REAL information about changes. No generic KB numbers.
No illegal drivers that destroy your hardware. Check out FTDI-Gate !!