Re: Enamel coating

J68HZ

Others have commented on this issue, but I’ll tell you what I know. 

Many years ago I worked for a company that made the coatings for magnet wire (among other nasty things).  There are four types of insulative coatings commonly put onto magnet wire: 1) cellulosive, 2) Poly-vinyl (Formvar), 3) enamels, and 4) epoxy.  There are also some specialty coatings like PTFE but we do not typically see this for hobby use.  From the companies chemical applications & use sheets, here is how they are removed.

1)      Cellulosive.  Can easily be cut or abraded away.  Will not dissolve in solvents.

2)      Poly-Vinly.  Can be abraded (scraped) away, dissolved by EDC (Ethylene DiChloride)/ Chloroform/ Dioxane, or decomposed by heating to 400 degrees F.

3)      Enamels.  Can be abraded (scraped) away, dissolved by Methylene Chloride/ EDC/ MEK, and decomposed by heating into the 200-500F range.  Note that some catalyzed enamels can cannot be dissolved by the chemicals listed once dry/ catalyzed.

4)      Epoxy.  Can be abraded (scrape) away, dissolved by highly polar acids (HF), or decomposed by heating to 600+ F.

Note that most of the chemicals listed here are extremely toxic (like Dioxane… the active ingredient in agent orange) so should be avoided.  From this list, the easiest way to take the insulation off the wire is to purchase a “Solder Pot” to dip and decompose the coating.  You can find 300 watt solder pots on eBay in the $30-70  range that are perfect for this task.  I own an abrasive device for taking the coating off that was about $100 and it works perfectly too.

Dr. William J. Schmidt - K9HZ J68HZ 8P6HK ZF2HZ PJ4/K9HZ VP5/K9HZ PJ2/K9HZ

Owner - Operator

Big Signal Ranch – K9ZC

Staunton, Illinois

Owner – Operator

Villa Grand Piton – J68HZ

Soufriere, St. Lucia W.I.

Rent it: www.VillaGrandPiton.com

Like us on Facebook! facebook icon

Moderator – North American QRO Group at Groups.IO.

email:  bill@...

From: QRPLabs@groups.io [mailto:QRPLabs@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike Berg
Sent: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:50 PM
To: QRPLabs@groups.io
Subject: Re: [QRPLabs] Enamel coating

Just did some testing on both magnet wire from Hans and my own stash and the acetone didn't touch the enamel coating.

I used a small piece of mechanics rag soaking in acetone to clean the wire, but the enamel didn't budge. Soaking the wire for a few seconds didn't make any difference either.
Am I doing something wrong?

73  Mike N0QBH

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Join QRPLabs@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.