Re: #qcx QCX Firmware 1.01 released #qcx

Hans Summers

Hi all

I found the problem with 1.01... it's a case of changing something innocent and it having unexpected consequences which didn't show up in my particular testing cases. Arrghghhh. It is limited to self-decode of your own keying, which is only used for monitoring your own transmission (menu "5.5 Enable TX" is ON) and for entering messages during menu editing (menu "5.6 Enable Edit" is ON). The rest of the radio works perfectly.

In case you're interested...

This issue was caused by switching off the Digital Signal Processing. Normally there are 250 processing events per second, sampling occurs at 12,019 samples per second, and they are processed in blocks of 48 at a time, approximately every 4ms. The decision to process CW decoding is based on an index variable which is incremented 12,019 times per second; CW decoder processing occurs every 4ms, when the receive signal buffer (48 samples) gets full. The DSP (Goertzel algorithm) processing takes 1.5ms. When disabled, it means the decoder was getting called repeatedly multiple times over in the same 1 / 12,019'th of a second interval, because everything happens so fast. Then the milliseconds counter in the decoder proceeds very rapidly and it thinks your CW keying is going correspondingly very slowly; this messes up all the timing.

The solution is very easy, just changing the logic of when the CW decoder gets called to make sure it cannot happen more often than every 4ms. Normal operation restored! Or better than it used to be, I feel!

This realization occured to me during mental "background processing" while we were eating dinner!

Note that with the corrected behaviour of the decoder in 1.01, it may be optimal to increase the value of menu "5.2 Speed Avg." which defaults to 07. A larger value e.g. 20, *may* perform even better. I'm going to experiment with this a bit.

11 Order IDs: 30357, 30364, 30366, 30368, 30369, 30370, 30371, 30373, 30375, 30376, 30378 shipped with version 1.01.

All other Order IDs were either shipped before the announcement of 1.01, or are pending shipment; these will all be shipped with 1.01a.

Anyway this is a minor issue, the radio works fine generally (including decode during Receive), it's only if you try to key in message memories rather than enter them using the buttons and rotary encoder, that there is any problem.

73 Hans G0UPL

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 8:17 PM Hans Summers via Groups.Io <hans.summers=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Jim

Don't worry I found the issue. Will explain in a moment once I've got the kids to sleep

73 Hans G0UPL

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019, 20:07 Jim W8JD <jimd2002@...> wrote:
Hi Hans.  I'm pretty sure I did my messages with strait the built in key but I just tried my Bencher paddle and no luck, mostly just random letters.  I does appear to work if I send extremely slow, I mean like 1 second dashes and such but the letter wont appear until I start the next letter.  It works perfectly in normal transmit and receive.
I could easily load the 1.00g software and give it a try if you want and get back to you.  Maybe their was just a glitch during the 1.01 load.

Thanks Hans
Jim Davis
W8JD