Re: Hints for winding T1 in QCXs

Joe Cotton

Hi Jim
Great hint for winding T1 for the QCX. The T1 winding step may be the hardest part of the whole megilla.
The point that you make to wind the secondary winding 3 first and to mount the T1 as the first step are great ideas.
However, your description of winding the primary and the secondary 1 and secondary 2 are not clear to me.  Allow me to say it in my own words and see if I understand you correctly.

Step 1.  Wind secondary 3 over half of the toroid.  Solder it in holes 1 and 2, leaving room between the toroid and the board for wires (to come).
Step 2.  Take about two inches of wire, tin one end, solder to hole 5.  This wire is standing straight up.
Step 3.  Bend the wire over the top of the toroid, then down into the toroid, and then underneath the toroid, coming out between hole 5 and hole 1.
Step 4   Repeat step 3, two more times.
Step 5.  You should have a short length of wire left.  Bend this over the top of the toroid, and down into hole 6. Solder hole 6.

Step 6,  Repeat steps 2 through 5, for holes 3 and 4.  The first winding should come out between holes 3 and 5 in step 3.
Step 7.  Repeat steps 2 through 5, for holes 7 and 8.  The first winding should come out between holes 7 and 3 in step 3.

It's the step 3 which I want to get correct, and leave no doubt exactly what to do!  Do I have step 3 correct? I think that the windings all need to be in the correct direction. Do I have it correct?

thanks
Joe W3TTT