Re: qcx calibration

Alan G4ZFQ

on the frequency - do you mean the wsjx display - i do not have an accurate frequency meter..
Terry,

That's where the GPS makes it easy. Otherwise you really need to use a frequency standard, either RWM, WWV etc or get to know a WSPR user who is dead on frequency.
You set the U3 or QCX parameter so frequency is correct.

i have been reading both the qcx and u3s manuals but i am leaning towards the qcx cos its appears a bit less complicated than the u3s.  ie the u3s needs 5 v which would need a regulator to use my 12 v battery,
The regulator is simple, you could even get an Ebay module for a few pounds. I see a switch mode module for 99p inc. but linear is better where radio is concerned.

to equal the pa out it needs the 5 w pa.
That really depends, WSPR does very well with a lot less. 5W is often used but most times that is simply far more than required. I've never used more than 1W, my U3, purposely QRP, puts 50mW to the antenna on 10m and got to FY5KE a few weeks ago.
The U3 does get a little more complicated when you go multiband but it is very well documented and lots of experts here to put you right.

you may be interested that my exiting station has two transceivers - a vintage trio ts520se
There was someone recently using a TS520 for WSPR RX, I was surprised it worked, but it was borderline, it was not designed for less than 4Hz of drift in 2 minutes.