Re: A non GPS method of time keeping and calibration ? (U3's etc) ?

SkipF, NT1G <skip.flem@...>

You could always use a TXCO oscillator with a small arduino chip
to count 'microsteps', throw a high bit for a 'few more' then repeat the cycle.
A few people have taken this further by heating the xtal oscillator to an elevated
temp (~125F) with some small power resistors inside a 'thermos flask'.

On Sun, Jul 14, 2019, 4:28 AM Andy Brilleaux via Groups.Io <punkbiscuit=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was just looking at real time clock modules for Raspberry Pi's and had a thought.

These tiny RTC modules often have outputs at 32Khz and 1Hz, are tiny and sell for about 1.25 £/$/euro !!

I wonder if the 1pps is good enough to a U3S disciplined for general purpose use.

Yeah I know a GPS system is the ultimate, but something this cheap for general use might be "good enough".

Thoughts anyone ?

73 de Andy